Meet Richa: USG Comptroller Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Name: Richa Jain

Major: Management Information Systems and Biological Sciences

Hometown: Rye Brook, NY

Current USG Position: Parliamentarian of the Senate body and Hilltop Apartments Senator

Tell us a little bit about yourself. 

I am a senior double major in Management Information Systems part of the School of Business and Biological Sciences part of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. I love learning about new things and am quite an adventurous person. My favorite aspect about UConn is all the opportunities that are offered. I have grown from my extensive leadership experiences here at the University. I have been a member of Funding Board for two years, a Senator for two years, I am the Parliamentarian of the Senate this year, Founder and President of Delta Phi Omega Sorority, Inc., which is the first South Asian interest sorority on campus. Additionally, I am a teaching assistant for PNB 2274/75, volunteer for Big Brother Big Sister, former Conference Director of Model United Nations, and act as the Community Chair for Pan-Asian Council. I have been driven to immerse myself in my surroundings because it is how I believe I make an impact on my community!

Why did you decide to run for Comptroller? 

Comptroller has been a dream of mine for a little while now. I wanted to run for Comptroller because I noticed how frustrated student groups were with the funding system. Some of them feel that USG is not a place they can go to as a resource or they feel the system is too complicated and I want to change this feeling. I see a lot of areas where restructuring and changes will be helpful and I would like nothing more than to offer my expertise as a Funding Board member to help out student organizations.

What are some things you wish to accomplish if elected? 

I have six things I would like to accomplish if elected. I would like to make the following adjustments: 1. Allow the funding system to be easier for students, 2. cut down unnecessary expenditures within USG and give back more to students, 3. address student groups’ concerns through more town halls, 4. revamp the informational budget system, 5. devise an exacting inventory system to prevent repeat purchases and lastly, 6. make the funding trainings more interactive so that students can learn how to use the system much more easily.

In what ways do you represent the UConn student body? 

When I think about the UConn student body, I think about its diversity and inclusively. I am an individual with many diverse interests both in and out of the classroom, yet the one string that connects me to all of them is my passion and drive to do better and be better. I believe UConn students are of a certain breed of excellence, pride, and overall a force to be reckoned with. I bleed blue and I’m extremely proud I do!

What challenges do you anticipate during your campaign? 

Probably juggling school and campaigning! These next 3-4 days are definitely going to be wicked tough since I’ll be doing a lot of the physical campaigning over the course of the 2 days. It will be fun though and definitely an experience.

All photos are courtesy of Richa Jain

Alexis Angelini is a fourth-year student studying English and Communication. When not working as a Social Media Content Producer, Alexis is heavily involved on campus. She currently serves as the President of UConn Yoga Sangha, the Marketing Director of Her Campus UConn, as well as a Peer Educator in S.H.A.P.E. Her love and interest for social media is reflected in her experience, as she has worked with brands such as Aerie, Rent the Runway, Hallmark, Neutrogena, The Economist, Uber, etc. Her social media experience has helped start-ups to Forbes-featured businesses to Fortune 500 companies with their social media.