Meet the HC UConn Founding Staff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

After founding the Her Campus UConn branch, several girls have been working hard to produce content and publicize the site around campus throughout the past semester. Ever wonder who wrote that article you really loved? Or who created the pink crossword puzzle that kept you occupied through that extra long bio lecture? It’s the end of the school year, and we’re getting personal, bringing you information about the girls that contributed to the branch’s  installation in Storrs! Some of us are graduating this year, but luckily most will be sticking around next year to continue serving you, dear readers, with the latest school news, campus cuties, and more!

Bridget Shannon

Grad Year: 2011
Major(s): Journalism and anthropology
Contributions: Founded the HC branch at UConn, served as Editor in Chief, recruited team, led team initiatives, wrote articles, directed social media
Interests/hobbies: Reading, writing, traveling, spending time with friends, cooking, running, following UConn and Boston sports
Other activities at UConn: Study Abroad Ambassador, served as a peer mentor for freshmen students
Future Career Goals: Work in the editorial or marketing department for a magazine or online publication within the lifestyle/health or travel industry, eventually in an editor position
Plans after graduation: Traveling to Shanghai, China for the Summer and freelancing for the Hartford Courant, then hopefully moving to a city

Danielle Monsiegneur

Grad Year: 2011
Major(s): Communications & Spanish
Contributions to HC UConn: Marketing Director: leads PR initiatives around campus and online
Interests/hobbies: Photography, Cycling, and Volleyball
Future career goals: Public Relations in a setting that would allow me to be creative
Plans after graduation: A Marketing and Sales internship with Her Campus in Cambridge

Ashley Dostie

Grad Year: Dec. 2011
Major(s): Journalism and Communications- Public Relations
Contributions to HC UConn: Editorial Director
Interests/hobbies: Writing, Marketing, Dance
Other activities or involvement at UConn: Alpha Phi Omega, the Daily Campus
Future career goals: To live in either Los Angeles or London working for a magazine in the next 5 years
Looking forward to Her Campus next year by: Taking over as Editor in Chief, building up our staff and advertising, holding a bunch of fun, free events so the student body can see what we can do

Katherine J. McAlpine

Grad Year:
2012
Major(s): Journalism and Anthropology
Contributions to HC UConn: Event Listings Coordinator and Editorial Writer
Interests/hobbies: Researching and writing stories on all different kinds of topics, particularly global issues such as environmental sustainability and disease-related research, spending time with family and friends, going out dancing, cooking new things and watching drama movies
Other activities at UConn: UCTV News Writer, eMagination Staff Writer
Future career goals: A career in journalism- people say the field is dying – but without journalists how will people ever stay informed about national and global events? Presenting the public with news and information is extremely important and will always be necessary.
Looking forward to Her Campus next year by: Taking over as Editorial Director: excited to meet new girls and bring them onto the team. Developing ideas for how we can shape the content of Her Campus UConn and planning new events and activities

Stephanie Helfrich

Grad Year: 2013
Major(s): Psychology and Communications
Contributions to HC UConn: Pictures for photoblog
Interests/hobbies: Writing, Playing pick up games or just being outside on a nice day, running, reading
Other activities at UConn: Participant in SUBOG
Future Career Goals: Something that combines Social Psychology and mass media
Looking forward to Her Campus next year by: Serving as the Social Media Director, making Her Campus UConn a well-known and frequently used website for UConn students, contributing to the state and helping it grow!

Caitlin Kelly

Grad Year: 2013
Major(s): Communication
Contributions to HC UConn: Photography and marketing
Interests/hobbies: Horseback riding
Other activities at UConn: UConn Communication Society
Future career goals: To do something creative for a women’s magazine
Looking forward to Her Campus next year by: Getting more girls involved and excited about HC UConn!

Nicole Biancuzzo

Grad Year
: 2013

Major(s): Communications
Contributions to HC UConn: Contributed to the photoblog, participated in the marketing side by passing out advertisement fliers and contributing ideas towards possible locations to work with as far as deals and giveaways were concerned,discussed publicity for next year
Other activities at UConn: Just transferred to UConn this semester so this is the first group I joined!
Future career goals: Landing a career in the mass media and marketing world of communications, to eventually work in entertainment news as a marketing or PR director.
Looking forward to working on Her Campus next year by: Working on social media initiatives, editorial writing. With continued circulation and attention on Facebook I see the magazine getting a lot of hype. I really want to help make this magazine a bigger part of the student life at UConn and am excited to be a part of the process. Between advertising and creative story ideas, I definitely see Her Campus making a huge step forward next year and for many more to come!

GeeGee Piperea

Grad Year:
2012

Major(s): Communications
Contributions to HC UConn: Writer and worked on the marketing/PR side
Interests/hobbies: Traveling, being outdoors, shopping, writing, and spending time with friends and family
Other activities or involvement at UConn: Comm Society
Future career goals: Work at a PR Firm and become an event planner/coordinator
Looking forward to working on Her Campus next year by: Expanding our UConn branch by getting more people involved and coming up with new, fun, and creative content!

Kelsey Mauch

Grad Year: 2013
Major(s): Psychology and Human Development and Family Studies
Contributions to HC UConn: writer, photo contributor
Interests/hobbies: Traveling, writing, dancing, listening to music/going to concerts, spending time with friends and family
Other activities at UConn: SUBOG Special Events Committee, Habitat for Humanity, Family Studies Undergraduate Committee
Future career goal/aspiration: To be a family and marriage therapist, or a psychologist that specializes in adolescent development. Doing something involving creative writing would be great too!
Looking forward to working on Her Campus next year by: Getting the word out and making Her Campus more established at UConn, as well as building a great staff and expanding our content.

Bryce de Flamand

Grad year: 2013
Major(s): Fine Arts/English
Contributions to HC UConn: Produced photo blog pictures
Interests/hobbies: Writing, Photography, Music
Other activities at UConn: Habitat for Humanity, Usher at Jorgenson
Future career goals: Graphic Design Artist
Looking forward to for working on Her Campus next year by: Writing articles, getting more involved on campus and cataloging events through the photo blog!

Bridget is a senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in journalism and anthropology. Between interning at The Hartford Courant/Fox CT and a nonprofit education agency during the week, she manages a website she founded about cooking quick, healthy meals for college students, and writes for Examiner.com about creating low-budget meals. She is a campus rep for BaubleBar jewelry, and served as a peer mentor to freshmen this year. Bridget studied abroad in London, and interned at a lifestyle magazine over the summer in Shanghai, China. Her free time is dedicated to scouring the Internet for discount designer shoes and following UConn and Boston sports. She's training for a half marathon this spring, which (at times) justifies her weakness for mint chocolate chip ice cream. She hopes to see every inch of the world someday, and maybe write about it too.