Meet Daniela, One of the Only Women in the Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Name: Daniela Marulanda

Major: Journalism with a sociology minor

Hometown: Farmington, CT

Favorite sports team:  Barcelona

Dream Job: Cover soccer for ESPN.

When did you first know you were interested in sports journalism?

It was at a pretty young age. I remember watching a lot of soccer growing up and in the summer of 2007 there was the Copa America in Venezuela and I followed all the coverage and I thought it would be amazing to be one of the commentators or analysts that traveled to cover the games. So from that point on, I watched as much soccer as I could and as many soccer shows so I could learn how people analyzed games. It seemed pretty fun and something I would I would want to do for the rest of my life.  

What is it that you love about sports/sports journalism?

I love how journalism allows you to find people with interesting stories and you get to be the facilitator in that conversation. You get to listen more than you talk and I think that is pretty powerful because we all need to do that more often. In the case of sports journalism, it’s pretty amazing how sports connect so many people through a common goal, team or athlete.

There are so many things that start with sports because of that reason. Strong female athletes can be role models for girls and we’ve seen how they are fighting for equality across different fields.

There are so many emotions and to witness things like Geno winning 1000 games or the women’s basketball team winning a 100 games is extraordinary. And those things mean a lot for fans.

Sport goes deeply into social issues and can tell us how people behave and because of that, I’m really interested in it.

Was there ever a moment when you felt discouraged to pursue sports journalism?

Journalism and sports journalism in particular is so crowded with people pursuing it and there aren’t many positions open. So you start to think about if this is the career for you.

I went through different stretches during my time at UConn where I felt despair because I didn’t know if I should be a journalism major, but I think that was more to do with the fact that English is my second language, and News Writing was hard on me. But you get through that and you learn you need to be strong if you really want to be in this career path.

I continue to learn every day and as long as I’m passionate about what I’m doing and I’m committed to growing and getting better, I will continue.

Have you found any difficulties being a young woman in a stereotypically male-dominated field?  If so, what were they?

Yes and no.

I was never discouraged by anyone to follow sports, and my parents- who are the most important people in my life- always said I could do it and that they would see me one day on TV. But when I started being involved with UCTV and the Daily Campus, I saw that I was often the only woman in the room, and that’s intimidating at times. But I’m lucky to work with people who have helped me and taught me so much in regard to sports that I’m less familiar with or stats.

It’s always difficult because I know that some men won’t ever validate what I’m saying regardless of how much experience I have, or in some cases they will question what I do. I work with amazing women, and I see men always questioning them when they know what they are doing.

Who are your role models and why?

Growing up my role model was and still is Fernando Palomo, he’s a great commentator at ESPN Deportes and he’s very professional, smart and has an amazing voice.

Now, I would say Antonietta (Toni) Collins, who does Sports Center is my role model. She’s Mexican-American, speaks Spanish and she has worked hard every day to be in that position. She also likes the same soccer team that I do and I think we are very similar. So I would say her right now.

What advice would you give your younger self?

Work hard every day and things will work themselves out. I would worry so much about what I would do after college, and now I’m having fun and just doing as many things related to sports coverage and working as hard as I can. Now, I have the experience, I have the drive and I have the willingness to learn. I have had so many great opportunities, such as covering the Sweet 16 and Elite 18 for the women’s basketball tournament, because of the hard work I put in . I have traveled to Orlando and Philadelphia for the football team. I have had internships where I met amazing people who help me to grow and learn.

I mean, come on, I do the job that many dream of and I’m having a lot of fun while doing it. But I also work long hours and I expend long hours editing and traveling to the XL Center. But as long as you love something, the hours you work and how hard you work don’t feel exhausting

If you could say anything to people who don’t believe women are capable enough to be great sports journalists, what would you say?

I would just laugh at them. I think there are many women who have paved the way and have done amazing job as sports journalists. If at this point you feel like you have to invalidate the work of someone just because they are women, I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t think you deserve my time or energy.

All photos courtesy of Daniela Marulanda.