This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The spring weather is finally upon us! We’ve been spoiled with some warmer temperatures here at UConn this week after a very long winter. Even though we’ve escaped the Polar Vortex that seemed to dominate early 2014, you might not be ready to break out your short skirts just yet. So what’s the best way to make the transition? With a maxi dress of course! 

Although they’re usually a favorite for summer, maxi dresses are the perfect piece to break out for a breezy day on campus. They give you the feel of a spring outfit without showing any leg which is important for those chilly April mornings. You can complete the outfit (and bundle up a little more) by pairing it was a cute jean jacket or your favorite sweater.

A plain maxi dress is a collegiette staple because it’s so versatile you can easily dress it up or down with the right accessories. They typically have very simple necklines which lend themselves perfectly to statement necklaces or bright scarves. Both are a great way to add a pop of color to the outfit and allow you to give the dress a new twist each time you wear it.

Special thanks to Jessica Walter for allowing me to feature her and her adorable outfit in this post!

Elise is a 22-year-old cat lover with questionable taste in television and is on a quest to become Carrie Bradshaw 2.0. She is currently studying Psychology and Human Development & Family Studies at the University of Connecticut. To read even more by Elise, visit www.theperksofbeing-elise.blogspot.com