Girl On Bench With Backpack
Girl On Bench With Backpack
Her Campus Media

Making the Most of Spring Break On a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In ways beyond comprehension, Spring Break is somehow just around the corner. While it might seem like everybody on campus and their mom has something planned, there’s no shame in staying home and playing each day by ear. There are plenty of fun and affordable activities that you can do all by yourself or with friends!

Explore your hometown 

You know that cute shop that you’ve always been curious about? Now is the perfect chance to check it out! Make it a goal to go someplace you’ve never been each day. You’ll be surprised by how many hidden gems you’ve been missing out on. Local business owners usually have interesting stories to tell if you just ask!

Puerto Rico
Tatiana Rodriguez on Unsplash

Volunteer

While it might not be the glamorous Spring Break you had imagined, volunteering at your local animal shelter or nursing home can be a very rewarding experience (and anything is better than sitting at home all day). Plus, volunteer work will look great on any resume!

Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Take a day trip

New England is packed with nature trails, beautiful beaches, and historical landmarks; all you need is money for gas and you’re all set. Consider booking a cheap Airbnb with some friends for a night and split the cost!

hawaii jeep surf board beach
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Spend time with your family

Odds are your parents are thrilled to have you home; don’t shut them out! Ask if they would like to grab coffee, see a movie, or go thrift shopping with you. Surprise them by picking up the check – this will make their day!

Molly Peach-Friends
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Go to Ikea

Hours and hours and hours of fun… and meatballs

Yasmine Boheas
Yasmine Boheas / Unsplash

Bridget is a senior at the University of Connecticut, studying Journalism and English. In addition to HerCampus, Bridget is a member of Campus Trendsetters and College Fashionistas. In her free time she enjoys petting dogs, drinking excessive amounts of iced coffee, and song writing.