‘Made in the A.M.’ & ‘Purpose’: Album Reviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Friday the 13th, 2015: The scariest day in the music industry. Two of the world’s most popular acts, One Direction and Justin Bieber, battle for the number one spot atop the Billboard 200 with their latest album releases. The hype for both albums has been excessive, with One Direction’s Made in the A.M. being their final record before their year long, well-earned, break and Bieber’s Purpose being his comeback record after a two year hiatus. Here are reviews of both albums:

One Direction’s Made in the A.M.

The band’s fifth album does not disappoint, with the boys’ noticeable maturity both musically and lyrically. This is most likely the result of the members becoming even more involved with the writing process in comparison to their previous albums. These personal experiences are heavily reflected in songs such as Love You Goodbye and End of the Day, which both talk about the difficulties one can face in a romantic relationship, whether its saying the words “I Love You”, “Goodbye”, or “See You Soon.” This theme is carried throughout the album, using sounds familiar to the catchy sounds of Beatles’ pop/rock in Olivia to the cool beats of the 80s in What a Feeling. Made in the A.M. has something for everyone to enjoy, is the “Perfect” way to end this chapter in One Direction’s story, and has us looking forward to what’s next.

Album Highlights:

Infinity

End of the Day

What a Feeling

Temporary Fix

Wolves

A.M.

Justin Bieber’s Purpose

Bieber redeems himself by delivering a solid performance with his fourth album release in two years. The album is characterized by dance-pop rhythms and R&B beats, creating an incredibly catchy record. Bieber sings about having to deal with the struggles of fame, the struggles of being in a relationship, and standing your ground through it all. He does this with the help of featured artists such as Big Sean (No Pressure), Travi$ Scott (No Sense), Halsey (The Feeling), Skrillex & Diplo (Where Are U Now) and Nas (We Are). With the infectious beats like those found in Sorry and the lyrical confidence heard in Love Yourself, Justin Bieber turns heads: those of his adoring Beliebers, and those of  many who may have doubted him before.

Album Highlights:

What Do You Mean

Sorry

Company

The Feeling (Feat. Halsey)

All In It

Both albums are expected to be neck and neck in both physical and digital sales, therefore many expects have decided it will be too close to call until the official numbers are released next week for the US. One Direction’s Made in the A.M. officially debuted at #1 on the UK official charts as of Friday, November 20th, so music critics are keeping an eye on the USA charts to see the outcome.

Who do you think will get the top album for the US? Which is your favorite album? Make sure to tweet us your thoughts at @UconnHC!

Meanwhile, check out the Spotify playlist to listen to our favorite song choices from both albums!