This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

On Saturday, September 23rd at Royale Nightclub in Boston, my roommate and I attended the first night of College Fashion Week. Hosted by Her Campus and Primark, the event promised to give fashionistas a night full of free goodies, the latest trends in fashion, and the chance to see college-aged girls of all body types and ethnicities strut their stuff on the runway. With the final show in New York just having passed, here are my top two takeaways from my CFW experience.

1. Female Empowerment at its Finest

College Fashion Week promised to have college students of all shapes, sizes and backgrounds as their models, and oh did they deliver. Over the course of four collections I was able to see girls just like me, modeling clothes I could see myself wearing. Unlike other fashion shows where the models subscribe to society’s unrealistic body standards, CFW gave me an experience that left me feeling confident in my own skin. Seeing the models cheered on and supported by their peers was not only empowering as a female, but also as a member of the college community. For one night women showed each other nothing but love, and it was amazing. 

2. A Night (of Fashion) to Remember

CFW showcased some gorgeous collections from up-and-coming brands, as well as a sneak peak into Primark’s 2017 fall line. However, I found that  being able to see the fun and funky outfits those that attended the show wore made the night even more exciting for the fashionista in me. It was clear that everyone that attended the show that night loved experimenting with fashion, and it was truly a treat to see what outfits they came up with to wear. From chunky clear heels to all-white jumpsuits, I was constantly turning my head in awe of yet another person’s outfit. Being able to go to a fashion show and see brand’s showcase their collections was amazing, but being able to see my peers showcase their best and boldest outfits as well made the night one to remember. 

Being a part of such fashion-forward event has inspired me to start letting my creativity shine through my fashion choices. The great thing about fashion is the opportunities it gives you to let your personality shine. I am challenging myself to have fun with fashion, and collegiettes, I am challenging you all too. Take some outfit risks, wear that statement piece you’ve been dying to buy, and send pics of your outfits to @UConnHC on Twitter or @hercampusuconn on Instagram. Happy shopping, collegiettes!

Header Image Source