Living in Whitney: The Hidden Gem of UConn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We all know what people think of East Campus; that it’s sooo old and it’s sooo far and it’s sooo small. When I tell people that I live in Whitney, the reactions I get are typically very confused and apologetic, like they feel bad for me.  Maybe you’re even thinking those things reading this article right now.  But I have some interesting news for you: I actually chose to live here!

Why would I ever decide to live in one of the smallest, oldest parts of campus for my sophomore year?  Well, because I love everything about it!  Whitney is a very unique residential hall and not many people realize all of the benefits that come from living here.  From the location, to the dining hall, to the community, Whitney is by far one of the most underrated residential halls on campus.

Prime Location

East campus seems so obscure and isolated in contrast to the other residential halls at UConn, which is probably why a lot of people tend to overlook it.  However, compared to places like Towers, Busby, or Buckley, Whitney is pretty centrally located to the academic buildings on campus.  It is about a ten minute walk to any of the buildings on Fairfield Way and a ten to fifteen minute walk to the math and science buildings.  Fifteen minutes might seem like a long commute to some people, but it really isn’t so bad.  East Campus is perfect because it is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of central campus that I can relax, but it’s also close enough that I can get to where I’m going pretty easily. 

Another great thing about the walks from East is that it is such a beautiful and different view from other locations on campus.  Zane (a sophomore urban and community studies major) remarks that, “It’s the only place on campus where you get to walk by greenery everyday on your way to class.”  And he’s right; Whitney is on the rural side of campus, right in-between Fairfield Way and Horsebarn Hill.  The view is so unique and the walks are relaxing, especially now that the leaves are starting to change color.  It’s also super close to all of the trails up Horsebarn Hill, which make for some really beautiful hikes in the fall!

Excellent Dining Hall

Whitney Dining Hall is quite possibly the most underrated dining unit on campus.  It is cute and quaint and offers a unique homey atmosphere that you won’t find anywhere else. Complete with wooden lacquered tabled and benches, festive decorations for the season and interesting quotes about food painted across the walls, Whitney feels more like a high school cafeteria than the big, basic dining halls we expect from UConn.  Don’t let its size (or lack thereof) deceive you though!  The dining hall gets a lot of business, but it hardly ever feels packed.  Whether you’re looking for a place for you and your entire squad to eat dinner, or you’re just looking for a quiet place to come and work on your homework while you eat, Whitney is the perfect place for you.

I think that a lot of people are turned off by the fact that Whitney is considered the campus’ “vegan dining hall.”  However, there are a lot of options for people who don’t follow a vegan, vegetarian, or otherwise unique diet.  Sure there’s a lot of tofu, salad, and scrod, but there are also a lot of really delicious, non-vegan choices too.  The dining hall also has a lot of fun and interesting entrée bars throughout the week like Whitney’s famous hot cereal bar, omelet bar, nacho bar, or my personal favorite, Belgian waffle bar!  Whitney is also one of the only dining units open for late night five nights a week.  They serve breakfast from 7:15 pm to 10:00 pm, so if you’re ever in the mood for “breakfast for dinner,” come on down.  There are always fun options like scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, French toast or pancakes.

Warmhearted Community

The best part about living at Whitney is the community, hands down.  Despite the fact that the majority of the dorms here are singles, everyone is so friendly.  There is hardly ever a time when I am walking up the stairs to my room and don’t pass by anyone who says hello to me.  It is a stark contrast from any of the other dorms on campus, especially some of the larger ones because there are just so many people that you lose that community feel.  At Whitney, everyone is so welcoming and sociable and the residents here rave about it.  Zane (a freshman engineering major) and Oliver (a freshman pre-journalism and political science major) both noted that Whitney is one of the friendliest dorms on campus.  And Anissa (a junior HDFS major) says, “It feels like less of a place to sleep at night and more of a home away from home.” 

Cover image courtesy of: Emily Pestillo