A Letter to my Implant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Dear Implant,

I love you! I don’t think I have any stronger words to describe the way I feel about you. You have only been with me for 6 months, but your presence has been life changing. I will admit getting you was a little bit of a pain, really just a pinch, but it was so worth it. You’ll be with me for the next four years, and I feel like this will be the happiest relationship I’ve ever had.

You stopped Aunt Flo in her tracks, and I can’t tell you how grateful I am for that. There will be no cramps, no headaches, no stains, and my wallet thanks you more than anything.

You’re super effective! Like more than 99% effective. I never have to worry about missing a dose, or it being done incorrectly, etc. Once you were put in my arm, you started to work. And if I wanted to, we could part ways and everything would go back to how it was before.

Compared to other inserted forms of birth control, you are way less invasive. Putting you in my arm wasn’t as scary as getting another form of birth control, like an IUD. Plus, I can check on you very easily, because you’re right under my skin.

You also cost less than most other forms, if you cost anything at all, because most insurances cover you! I didn’t pay anything out of pocket, and because of places like Planned Parenthood, there are resources to help if someone wants to get you and can’t afford it. 

Implant, I love you. You are the greatest thing that has ever happened to my reproductive cycle. Not a lot of people know about you, and I think that is just a shame. Everyone should know about you. You’ve been often confused with and IUD, but I think you’re going to start to shine real soon. People just need to get to know you.

Love,

Deanna

Cover Image Source