Leather, Rinse, Repeat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

No, you read the title right. It said leather, yes, leather. Leave your poodle skirts behind and start rehearsing the lyrics to “We Go Together,” this week’s must have will transform any sweet and average Sandy into the iconic smoke show we cannot help but drool over at the end of Grease. Biker-chicks of the world rejoice, for leather is the cold weather trend taking a stand this fall, and you don’t need to be tatted up to your helmet hair to pull it off.

Sure we may have been skeptical in the past, but who’s to blame when the few visuals we have of leather-wearing individuals include Hell’s Angels and token guidos? Unless you are an official mobster or currently dedicating your life to fitting into that cat woman costume (more power to you!), head to toe leather is unnecessary, and should be avoided at all costs. Moral of the story: stay classy my friends.

Leather is not only practical, it’s hot! (Literally). In the wind tunnel also known as Storrs, Connecticut, we will do just about anything to shelter ourselves from the cold. This look is not only fashionable, it’s practical! Seriously, what more of an excuse do we need to go shopping?

Here are a few looks to get you started:

Leather piece number one: jacket. When buying a leather jacket, be sure to look for cool zippers and pockets, which only enhance the edginess of this already edgy attire. This can be easily paired with dresses, jeans, and skirts and come in a variety of colors. Extra points go to anyone bold enough to buy a leather jacket with studs. Rihanna will be so proud. [pagebreak]

To go even bolder, I bring you leather pants! The tricky part about this look is to be tasteful. Leather pants must be skinny, but not so skinny that you can barely walk in them. Wear these with chunky, simple sweaters and lots of layers for a more casual vibe. [pagebreak]

Leather shorts are perfect for nights out at school! High waisted or regular fit, shorts look great over sheer tights and paired with loose shirts. Just make sure your cheeks are covered!

Happy shopping! 

My name is Shannon Gruda and I am currently a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying journalism. I absolutely love all things fashion-related and I hope to one day be a part of a major publication in New York City. My obsession for magazines and style is far reaching, and I am so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team at UConn. Aside from the fashion aspect of my life, I am a major foodie with a passion for desserts, dance, and traveling. That's all for me!