This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This week Fox Sports’ reporter Katie Nolan is making headlines. On an episode of her show Garbage Time, Katie spoke on a video released by the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL. The video showed an interview with Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy, who just returned from suspension for physical abuse toward a former girlfriend. In the clip, Hardy made some controversial comments, which Katie addressed on her show.

Nolan has some powerful things to say about Hardy’s comments and the NFL. But this is not the first time that Nolan has taken on professional athletes and organizations in regards to their apparent disregard for women. Although Nolan’s show Garbage Time is mainly focused on providing comical commentary on current events in sports, she also uses her platform to defend women. Nolan says all of the things that us female sports fans want to say when instances like this one with Hardy arise. Nolan is a true pioneer for women in sports media, fighting off Twitter trolls and addressing woman-related controversies that many professional sports organizations try to brush under the rug. 

Katie is not the hero female sports fans deserve, but the one they need.

You can watch Katie Nolan’s show Garbage Time on Wednesdays at midnight on Fox Sports 1.