This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I made it one of my New Year’s resolutions to read more and let me just say that with each word I read, each page I turn, and each cover I close, I become immersed in a new world and new perspective. I read three books throughout the month of January and I wholeheartedly recommend them; you will not be disappointed! 

God Bless This Mess by Hannah Brown

I wanted to start my journey back into the reading world with something I knew I would be interested in. I absolutely loved Hannah Brown’s season of The Bachelorette; I also grew to love her as a person after following her on social media and her Dancing with the Stars journey. When I found out that she was coming out with a book, I was so intrigued and eager to read. I was expecting her to talk about her journey on The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, and the rest that followed, but I was not expecting her to go into the detail that she did. I mean, wow, this woman re-opened all of her wounds and allowed us to see and feel each and every single one. But by being vulnerable and opening up about her hardships, she really created a bond and trust with her readers. Although this was a much easier read, it was incredibly empowering, inspiring, and uplifting. She talks about her entire life from childhood up until now and gives you the idea that not everything you see on social media is real. It also gives you the impression that people in the spotlight have very normal lives outside of it. Behind all of the glitz and glam is a normal girl who experiences boy troubles, family struggles, and internal issues just like the rest of the world. Throughout this book, Brown does an excellent job at preaching how although struggling and failing sucks, it’s important to appreciate those moments of weakness and failure because it leads to success and growth. 

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

I had heard about this book all over TikTok and from friends and I finally got around to reading it. Some may disagree, but I did not think that this book lived up to all of the hype it received. Yes, I thought it was a great book and it did only take me two days to read it, but I guess I had a higher expectation for it. However, Colleen Hoover is an excellent author and I look forward to reading more of her work; especially the sequel to this book called It Starts With Us! This book definitely had its twists and turns but I almost thought it was predictable (well, the ending, rather). I think one of the best parts of the book is how Hoover wrote this based on her own life. It’s amazing how she created her own spin of her personal life. The meaning of the title was one thing that took me by surprise; I thought it was very beautiful and an important message for women out there. A huge theme throughout this book was how important it is to put yourself first in situations, even if that hurts you. Your mental and physical well-being is and should always be your top priority, and I think that Hoover did an excellent job at having this message shine throughout the book.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini 

This book was easily the best book I’ve ever read. This book takes you on the journey of two poor uneducated women, Mariam and Laila, living in Afghanistan during the Soviet reign and the Taliban for the last 30 years. Throughout the book you experience the struggles and trauma that these brave and resilient women underwent in their life during those 30 years. This book challenges stereotypes about Muslims, empowers women, and inspires all readers. It took me on a rollercoaster of emotions: anger, sadness, anxiety, frustration, happiness, etc. If there is one book I recommend the most, it’s this one. The book is divided into four parts in which you hear each woman’s perspective. When reading this book, it’s amazing to watch it come full circle. It is a sequel to The Kite Runner, which is another incredible read. 10/10 I completely recommend. 

Sam is a junior at UConn as an elementary education major, and she loves every second of it. In her free time you can see Sam listening to music, working out, or watching anything and everything on Netflix. Sam is so excited to have the ability to share her voice among other bad ass college women!