This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The other night, the two of us and our friends were walking home from a night out at the perfectly reasonable hour of 1 AM. During this walk, not one, not two, but three cars rolled down their windows to yell some form of “sluts!” or “hoes!” at us in our slightly sweaty states. We were wearing variations of the jeans and tank top look, but even if we had been rocking our winter jackets and UGGs, or tube tops and ripped shorts, there was a high chance something like this would’ve still happened, and there is no excuse for that.

Incidents like this are not unique to us, or even just to UConn; according to research conducted at Brown University in 2017, over half of female-identifying students reported being catcalled at least once a month on or near campus. This is common to not only college campuses, but in the broader world as well; in a survey conducted by stopstreetharrassment.org, over 99% of participants, some of which included men, responded as having been harassed at least a few times in public. This harassment doesn’t just occur in verbal form – here are some other examples of harassment that are unfortunately prevalent across the country. 

No matter what you look like or how you’re dressed, no one should have the right to make you feel unsafe, especially on a college campus where safety is a priority. No one should have to look over their shoulder ten times on their way home, be worried about being followed, or hold keys between their knuckles just in case something happens. Good nights with your friends shouldn’t be ruined by the immature assholes who decide to roll down their window and make you feel bad for having fun. 

While writing articles like this one brings attention to this prevalent issue, it sadly doesn’t change the fact that catcallers and harassers will continue to exist. All we can really do is support each other and know that we are worth more than whatever comes out of their mouths. If you are harassed, know that there are people who have been there and will be there for you. Keep being you, and don’t let a rando on the street change that.

If you ever need someone to talk to, visit  https://www.rainn.org or call 800-656-HOPE to be connected to the anonymous National Sexual Assault Hotline. 

Alekya Bokka

U Conn '22

Alekya is a sophomore Molecular/Cell Biology major and Math minor. When she's not dying from pre-PA requirements, you can find her in bed with a pack of Oreos watching the Bachelor.
Maria Mantas

U Conn '22

Maria is a sophomore Psychological Sciences major at the University of Connecticut. When not studying or writing for Her Campus, she can be found live-tweeting The Bachelor, watching David Dobrik vlogs, or listening to music.