This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I never imagined throughout high school that after graduation I would still be at home – let alone for a whole year. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I decided to do distance learning instead of moving onto campus. Sometimes it can make you feel lonely and disconnected. This is what I’ve been doing to lessen the anxiety that comes with distance learning.

Stay connected

This is easier said than done. I think it’s important to stay connected with what’s happening on your campus regardless of being home. This can be done by joining your school’s Facebook group to meet other students, joining your class group chats, and even joining clubs. Mostly everything is online right now, so even things like club and organization meetings can be done on your laptop right from your living room. Staying connected to other students on campus can make you feel less isolated and more like you’re part of your school’s community. 

Create a life outside of school

Having a job in your home town or hanging out with friends from high school will ease the anxiety associated with still being at home. Only focusing on schoolwork can worsen stress and anxiety. Getting out of the house and devoting part of your time to other things will cure boredom and make school less overwhelming.

Find a hobby 

Whether it’s knitting or starting that Squishmallow collection, spending time on things we like to do is equally as important as school. Your mental health is just as important as your education. I’m a big reader and I cut out time every week just to read for leisure. It’s a way for me to calm my mind and do something productive that isn’t school-related.

Schedule your time

I was never a big planning person, but I’ve found it helps to organize my life, especially this school year. Balancing a million assignments, work schedule, and social life can be a daunting task. It’s important to set aside time for schoolwork, but also time to just live and enjoy your life. Keeping a schedule can make school so much less overwhelming and stressful.

Stay positive

Don’t roll your eyes yet – I swear, it can make a difference. You won’t be at home forever, and you’re not missing out on that much (being quarantined in a dorm doesn’t sound appealing to me at all). Fall isn’t many months away, and vaccines are already being distributed in vast amounts. You’re almost there and should be proud of yourself for how far you’ve come!

Sadie is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying a dual degree in journalism & legal studies with a minor in women's studies. She’s a raging feminist and iced chai tea latte extraordinaire.