This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As I’m sure many would agree, quarantine can get pretty boring. Luckily, we have access to the all-too-addicting world of TikTok at our fingertips. I’ve managed to entertain myself for the past few weeks by trying out different TikTok trends and deciding whether or not they are worth the hype.

1. Temporary Tattoos using perfume

Amy Flak D
Amy Flak / Unsplash

As someone who is frequently doodling all over myself, I was super excited to try this one.

Instructions:

1- Print out a design of your choice and cut any excess paper

2- Coat the image with a layer of perfume

3- Submerge the image in water and let it soak for 2-3 minutes

4- Take it out and add another coat of perfume

5- Spray the area of application with a layer of perfume

6- Firmly press the design onto your skin and wait a few minutes

7- Peel away the paper to reveal the tattoo

Sounds pretty easy, right? WRONG! I tried this trend three different times and each time all I got was soggy, ripped paper and a really good smelling arm. Feel free to try it out for yourself, but if you’re after a fool-proof temporary tattoo, I recommend checking out inkbox. They have over 4,000 designs to choose from, or you could design your own custom tat!

The Verdict:

Big fail- 0/5

2. Whipped Coffee

irish coffee
Thimo van Leeuwen

Like a proper New Englander, a large portion of my bank account goes towards my Dunkin addiction. However, after stumbling across this recipe, I am amazed to say that I have not hit up my local Dunks in weeks! Sorry boo, I met someone new… its name is whipped coffee and it has my heart.

The recipe is cheap and easy to make, but I don’t recommend drinking this everyday because it does contain a lot of sugar.

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, add 2 tbsp instant coffee, 2 tbsp sugar, and 2 tbsp of water

2. Mix vigorously until stiff peaks form

3. In a separate glass add ice and fill ¾ of the way with any milk (I think it tastes best with almond milk, but do you sis)

4. Spoon the coffee mixture over the milk, mix and enjoy:)

The verdict:

Absolutely love- 5/5

3. Quarantine Bangs

Something about being stuck indoors with the same people triggers the inner 2007 Brittany Spears in even the best of us. The mentality of, “it’s just hair, it’ll grow back” is stronger than ever, especially considering it may be a while until we can do the whole social thing again. The natural female response to these urges: bangs. While I’m sure we’ve all seen our share of DIY bang fails, TikTok has served as a useful tool for the do’s and don’ts of bang-ology.

After watching a handful of videos of girls successfully cutting their bangs, I gathered up the confidence and a few supplies to make the big chop. I started by parting my hair evenly down the middle with a comb and then, using a triangle shape to frame my forehead, I separated the hair I would be cutting and pulled the rest back into a ponytail. Then, using my finger as an edge, I cut in a straight line just below the bridge of my nose. I was pretty happy with the results, but I went back and snipped upwards to create more of a feathered look and then I was all done!

The verdict:

Probably wouldn’t do it again, but not disappointed- 4/5

Stay healthy my lovelies!

Bridget is a senior at the University of Connecticut, studying Journalism and English. In addition to HerCampus, Bridget is a member of Campus Trendsetters and College Fashionistas. In her free time she enjoys petting dogs, drinking excessive amounts of iced coffee, and song writing.