I Tried Fake Nails for a Month & Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I had been thinking about getting longer nails for awhile. These nails are obviously on trend. From girls on Instagram to the Kardashian sisters: everyone is stunting these chic, long, almond nails.

I finally made the appointment at the nail salon, sat through two mind-numbing hours for the entire process, paid $80 for gel tips and polish, and…hated it.

Don’t get me wrong – they looked great. I received a lot of reassurance from my friends and compliments from adults over the age of 60 (I am still unsure why Grandmas love them).  My little brother said he was afraid of me and probably for good reason. In one instance, I tried to tap my friend on the shoulder and ended up giving her a nasty scratch on her arm.

Aside from being a liability, these are a burden. While I’ve learned to use the side of my finger to scroll on my phone, typing on my computer or my phone has become a boisterous spectacle. Tap. Tap. Tap. These nails really just made texting in class that much more difficult.

The reason I really began to regret getting this nail extensions was because how these limited everything I did on a daily basis. Want to open a can of soda? You can’t – you’ll break a nail. Want to try on a new sweater? Don’t even bother – you’ll end up with at least two pulls. Want to put on earrings? Hope you have fifteen minutes to spare. Want to put on cute, dainty jewelry? No, just no.

Moral of the story is that while these nails are super trendy, they may be more of a change than you may willing to make. When I went in to get my nails filled, I opted for a shorter, less-disruptive fake nail.

Do you think you would rock this Kylie Jenner-esque fake nail? 

Mary is a senior studying Communication and Entrepreneurship. She is an avid instagrammer, a sucker for anything on Bravo, and is passionate about the beauty industry.  When she is not busy with Phi Sigma Pi, Autism Speaks U, and Her Campus, she can be found writing for her personal beauty blog. Follow her on instagram @marysecondo.