This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Love! Juliet had Romeo, Rose had Jack, Baby had Johnny, and Sandy had Danny. The point is, love is all around! Love is such a beautiful thing that it should be celebrated at any possible time, and what better day to do so than Valentine’s Day? Sometimes, however, it’s hard to express how we truly feel, and we might need a little inspiration. Fortunately, I’d like to consider myself a bit of a hopeless romantic with an expansive taste in music. So, without further ado, here are some of my favorite ways that artists have said “I love you” in their songs!

“When you look me in the eyes” by the jonas brothers

“I can’t take a day without you here, / You’re the light that makes my darkness disappear”

As a fan of the JoBros since childhood, I unashamedly admit that I cried when I heard them perform “When You Look Me In The Eyes” live in concert back in 2021. I think it’s extremely romantic to tell someone that you can’t live a day without them, and I think it’s even more romantic that it all stemmed from simply looking someone in the eyes. If that doesn’t bring a tear to your eye, then I don’t know what will.

“Butterflies” by kacey musgraves

“I was hiding in doubt ’til you brought me out of my chrysalis / And I came out new / All because of you”

Can you imagine your partner describing your love to be so strong that it makes them feel reborn? No? Don’t worry, I can’t either! However, I do think it’s so beautiful that Kacey Musgraves can. “Butterflies” is a dreamy track that perfectly encapsulates the first feelings of new love, and I can’t help but smile whenever I listen.

“Our song” by taylor swift

“Our song is a slamming screen door / Sneakin’ out late, tapping on your window / When we’re on the phone and you talk real slow”

I fondly remember listening to Taylor Swift’s debut album as a kid, and even to this day, “Our Song” has always been one of my favorites. Swift’s exaggerated Southern accent mixed with the innocence in her voice always seemed so endearing, and listening to her describe how she and her former boyfriend didn’t have a song didn’t matter because the actions of their daily life are a wonderful song in itself is so adorable.

“Come away with me” by norah jones

“And I want to walk with you / On a cloudy day”

Short and simple: Jones loves her partner so much that they’ll bring sunshine and brightness into her life even on the cloudiest of days. It’s such a seemingly small statement that I feel holds such power. It’s one thing to go on a walk on a beautiful day, but it’s another to go while the weather is less than ideal and still enjoy it just because you’re so in love, and your partner makes everything better.

“my heart will go on” by céline dion

“You’re here, there’s nothing I fear / And I know that my heart will go on”

If you thought I wasn’t going to include “My Heart Will Go On” after referencing Titanic then you are certainly mistaken! Céline Dion’s powerful voice demands the listener’s attention, and you can’t help but feel an overwhelming rush of emotions whenever listening. We all know it, and we all love it, no need for me to further explain why it’s such a classic.

“got to get you into my life” by the beatles

“What can I do, what can I be? / When I’m with you I want to stay there”

My love for The Beatles was instilled early on in my childhood, and “Got To Get You Into My Life” has always been a song I could listen to on repeat. It’s catchy, relatively short, and has a very uptempo beat that always puts a smile on my face. Who wouldn’t want to be told that their partner wants to spend every single day of their life with them?

“your song” by elton john

“I hope you don’t mind, I hope you don’t mind / That I put down in words / How wonderful life is / While you’re in the world”

Can someone please get me a tissue? Bernie Taupin’s lyricism, the piano, and the tone of Elton John’s voice all culminate together to form one of the best love songs ever written. The song is sung in such a quiet tone that it feels quite intimate as if Elton John is singing these words directly to you. If words of affirmation are your love language, then “Your Song” is the perfect song for you.

“i’ve got you under my skin” by frank sinatra

“I’ve got you deep in the heart of me / So deep in my heart that you’re really a part of me”

Any song by Frank Sinatra automatically makes me feel a little emotional, and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” is an example of how I imagine a timeless love story to be. In my opinion, there’s just something about a jazz song that’s inherently romantic and charming, and it sort of reminds me of my grandparents and their timeless love. At times it can be a tear-jerker, but ultimately I reminisce on their love and it makes me feel hopeful for the future.

“francesca” by hozier

“I would not change it each time / Heaven is not fit to house a love like you and I”

Inspired by Francesca da Rimini in Canto V of Dante’s Divine Comedy, Hozier sings of love and commitment on this moving track. Hozier’s lyricism perfectly portrays the utter devotion one experiences for their partner, and his singing has such a passionate tone that paints quite a vivid picture of what the fiercest of love looks like. I genuinely believe that Hozier was created as an apology for men, and “Francesca” is a step in the right direction for apologizing on behalf of all mankind.

“the only exception” by paramore

“And that was the day that I promised / I’d never sing of love if it does not exist / But, darling, you are the only exception”

Hayley Williams of Paramore has consistently been releasing hits since I could remember, and “The Only Exception” is no exception (I’m sorry, I had to!). “The Only Exception” strays away from the usual type of songs that Paramore puts out, but Williams’ commanding rock-style voice perfectly suits the raw emotion and love portrayed on the track.

And there you have it! I hope you enjoyed my little collection of love songs! Happy Valentine’s Day, XOXO!

Haley Cohan

U Conn '26

Haley is a Sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying political science with a minor in women in gender studies. Originally from Berlin , CT, she loves to read and listen to music in her free time. Always willing to discuss Taylor Swift, she always has something to say about the recent pop culture events.