I Drank Lemon Water for 2 Weeks And…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I recently read this article about the benefits of drinking lukewarm lemon water each morning and I decided to try it.  Why not, right? The benefits seemed amazing: it clears your skin, freshens your breath, boosts your immune system, and is an anti-cancer agent! I was all in.

First off, I don’t like lemons that much. I can deal with a lemon wedge in my water at restaurants no problem, but ask me to drink lemonade, EW I just can’t. So this was going to be a challenge for me.

The recipe calls for a half of a lemon squeezed into lukewarm water each morning before you do anything else: even before you eat or work out. It was honestly rough to have this be the first thing I tasted each morning, but I did it anyway.

I don’t know about you, but the only hot drinks I like are hot chocolate and tea, not pure lemon juice.

A few days in ,I obviously didn’t see any results since I had just started. Days later I still wasn’t seeing anything and noticed I got a pimple on the side of my face. I rarely get pimples so I was pissed! “Clears your skin”-yeah right!

I also picked up a cold during my trial… “Boosts your immune system”- please, I was very sick.

It could’ve been a sheer coincidence or it could have just not been my week. Although I saw no instantaneous results, I continued to drink the lemon water every morning, but when I ran out of lemons I gave up.

Overall I can say that drinking warm lemon every morning for two weeks didn’t do much for me.  I learned that I still hate lemons, and not to believe everything you read online.

Have you ever experimented with lemon juice or something like it? Let us know by tweeting at us @UConnHC!

Cover photo credit

Social Media Director for Her Campus UConn. I am a Communication major and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor at the University of Connecticut. Currently a PR Assitant for Mintz + Hoke.