I Could Have Been Aborted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Disclaimer: This article reflects the views of the individiual writer and not the views of Her Campus UConn as a whole. 

As a female Republican on a predominantly liberal campus, I often receive questions about my stances on controversial issues. Abortion is a topic that not only comes up often, but has been in the spotlight even prior to Trump’s inauguration. Now that he has publicly admitted his plan to defund Planned Parenthood and ultimately ban abortion, the issue has gained even more attention than before. Likewise, the Women’s Marches and the March for Life occurred about one week apart from each other in Washington D.C.. One received international media coverage while the other did not. In fact, pro-life women were discouraged from marching in the Women’s March because they were not considered “true feminists.”

Undoubtedly, many individuals are upset by the movement to defund Planned Parenthood and I have been asked what my views are on the topic at hand. When I admit that, in fact, I am pro-life, there are many questions that follow, particularly because I am a woman. Many ask why I am okay with men making a decision about my reproductive rights. Others question why I do not believe in complete ownership of my body. Truthfully, their arguments make sense and there are an aggregate of reasons why people choose to be pro-life, but the answer for me is quite simple: I could have been aborted.

Now you may be thinking, “Well we all could have been aborted too,” and when it comes down to it, that is absolutely valid, but my mother was considered a high-risk pregnancy for several reasons. Firstly, I was not a planned pregnancy and secondly, my parents were both over the age of 40 with two teenagers when my mom found out she was pregnant. My parents are both Catholic so they considered the pregnancy a blessing even if it was unexpected. However, despite my parents’ optimism about the situation, doctors were quick to tell them about the potential complications my mother could face throughout the pregnancy. Knowing that the life growing inside of her was not her own, but the life of another human, she sacrificed her own health in hopes that her unborn child would have a chance at life.

As the pregnancy continued, my mother, as the doctors predicted, experienced some complications that were, fortunately, all minor. Soon the doctors were no longer heavily concerned with her health, but rather mine. They continued to inform my parents of the potential health complications I could face, but my parents were unphased. Rooted in their faith and prepared for whatever fate may throw at them, they continued on with the pregnancy until a healthy baby was born.

Because of the sacrifices made not only by my mother but by my father too, I am here, 20 years later, happy and healthy alongside my beautiful mother who just recently celebrated her 61st birthday. My mother sacrificed her health, well-being, and life, to assure that I could have the chance to live and that is why I am pro-life. It would be hypocritical for me to act any other way.

Sometimes I think of what could have happened had my parents gone to a different doctor, if my mother valued her own body more than the one growing inside of her, or if my parents simply did not want to have any more children.     

To be pro-life does not mean to be anti-women. There are two parties involved in making a human life, and yes, there are unfortunate circumstances as to how conception happens. The issue is difficult, but a human life is a separate life than that of the carrier. I am pro-life because I believe in the equality of the dignity of human life.

Cover Image Source