Huskies Fight Hunger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

UConn huskies packed 20,000 lunches last Saturday morning with the organization Feeding Children Everywhere. The morning consisted of teamwork, donations and fundraising. For every dollar donated, four meals are sent to a child in need.

Students worked in an assembly line fashion. Some separated and put the food into bags while others weighed and packaged the lunches. The energy was high and competition was in the air! After every fully packaged box, the entire team would celebrate by yelling, “We finished a box!” The group to finish 4 boxes first would be the most efficient.

11.9 % of Connecticut homes are faced with food insecurity. It is a common misconception that homelessness and hunger are issues that occur in families that are far from us, but the unfortunate reality is that there are families right in our backyard that need our help! Huskies devoted their Saturday morning to feeding the children of our neighborhood! 

Kappa Phi Lambda and Pi Delta Psi joined together to give students this incredible opportunity to give back.

If any Husky is interested in giving back, Feeding Children Everywhere is always accepting volunteers. An alumnus that was heavily involved with this event and a member of the organization, urged volunteers to look into the internship program and spread the word to those that may be interested!

Erin is a journalism and communications student at the University of Connecticut who loves to learn about all aspects of magazine journalism and believes magazines are the perfect form of free expression. Erin is normally found holding a copy of Vogue, Seventeen or Elle and is constantly following the latest trends from Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. She always sets aside time in her day to have a good laugh, which usually includes reruns of Friends and Boy Meets World.