This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I know these last few weeks have been a whirlwind for most of us. It feels like the world is shutting down and most of us are just trying to get adjusted to this new online world… hello Zoom University. It’s hard not to get distracted with everything going on in the world currently, but here are some tips on how to work at home effectively. 

Wake up on time for classes

This one may seem silly considering we have all the time in the world now, but waking up the same time you have been all semester will help you to stay on top of everything you need to do. Waking up on time for classes will also help to set a routine for yourself to follow at home, making quarantine a little less awful. 

Get dressed for the day

Ever heard the saying, look good feel good? Well, it’s true. Staying in your pajamas or sweats all day will make you feel continually tired and unmotivated. Despite quarantine making us all housebound, getting dressed and ready for the day changes your mindset so you are able to feel accomplished from the moment you walk downstairs.

Stay focused 

With no teacher watching over you and no technology policies to follow, it can be harder to stay focused than it was originally. One thing you can do is to set guidelines for yourself on how much unnecessary screentime you have. In addition, the house is probably a little more crowded than usual, so finding a place you can work with no distractions is essential! 

Take breaks 

It’s hard not to go stir crazy in quarantine. Take time throughout the day to do things to help de-stress. Whether it is walking your dog, FaceTiming a friend, or reading a book, make sure you are taking care of your mental health as well. 

Don’t forget, everyone is in the same strange situation right now. Adjusting can be hard, but just try your best and it will all work out in the end. You got this!

Nina is a sophomore Communication major at the University of Connecticut. She previously attended Miami University, in Oxford Ohio. This is her first year writing for Her Campus.