This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We’re coming up on the final stretch of the semester, and it’s the final push! With the stress of finals and the end of the semester coming up, burnout is a very common feeling for college students right now. It’s so important to take care of yourself over winter break: both mentally and physically. Here are just a few ways I love to treat myself after coming home from a hectic semester at college.

First off, as college students, we don’t spend nearly as much face-face time with our family as we might be used to. This lack of quality time can make stressful times even more hard to bear. This is why over winter break, my number one tip to de-stress is to spend quality time with loved ones. That could look different for everyone and doesn’t have to be anything extravagant. You could do something simple such as go on a walk, help cook dinner, or go shopping! How you spend this time is up to you, but merely being in the presence of my family and friends is something that always grounds me.

In addition, for me personally, it is very difficult to stay motivated to exercise during breaks from college because I don’t have all the resources I normally would at college. However, when I don’t move my body as much, I don’t feel as refreshed and energized. I find exercising to be a great way to de-stress and feel my most healthy, energized self. Exercising doesn’t have to be going to the gym for hours and lifting heavy weights (although this could be your preferred form of exercise). Exercising could be going on a hike, skiing, biking, and the list goes on and on. Also, just being in nature, in general, is good for improving mental health, so any form of exercise that is outside is killing two birds with one stone!

Another way I love to de-stress is to have myself a “spa night” as I like to call it. Whether it’s by yourself, with your mom, or with your friends, gather all of your self-care products and pamper yourself! Specifically, what I like to do is take a hot shower, use all my favorite products, and exfoliate. Afterward, I will moisturize, do a face mask, and give myself a mani-pedi. Doing all this isn’t only really good hygiene, but it makes me feel refreshed and put-together, not to mention smell great.

Lastly, there are so many winter-related activities to partake in over break, especially with the holidays coming up. No matter what you celebrate, there are plenty of things you can do to get into the spirit of the season. For example, you can go ice skating, sledding, watch a Christmas movie, or bake something yummy. My personal favorite activity to do around the holidays is to drive around where I live and look at all the holiday decorations. Even better, if you live close to a city like New York City or Boston, I would highly recommend visiting to walk around and enjoy the pretty lights and window displays.

Overall, winter break is a time to enjoy yourself and recuperate after working so hard all semester. That’s why it is essential that you prioritize yourself so you can take care of your mental and physical health. Whether that means spending time with your family and friends, exercising, celebrating the holidays, or pampering yourself, there are so many opportunities to de-stress and relax this winter break.

Shaina Julis

U Conn '25

Shaina is a sophomore Communications major. When she's not busy with class, she loves baking, cycle classes, and going to the beach, in her free time.