This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

For me, choosing my major was academically, the biggest challenge I had during college. While I thought I had it all mapped out, as soon as I began my courses for my first semester in the fall of 2020, I realized that perhaps I had other goals and ambitions. Figuring out those ambitions, however, was not easy. Luckily for me and everyone else going through the same dilemma, the resources and tools provided at UConn can give you a leg up when figuring out what major fits you.

Think about who you are and what you like

This can be challenging when you have already declared your major, especially if you have already started your academic plan.

First, you should ask yourself, what am I good at? If you’re not good at writing, especially if you don’t care for creative writing, don’t pursue an English degree. If you dislike math, do not become an actuarial science major. Instead, figure out what you enjoy and what you would want to spend your time on for four years.

To do this, look through the course catalogs of majors you find exciting. What courses sound the most interesting, difficult or easy, or worth learning?

Take a step back

Many of us, with good reason, look to our future when deciding on a major, clouding our judgment. Even if your dream job aligns with something in your major, think about yourself now and the work you are willing to put in. 

If you’re going to think about the future, consider if you still would want to pursue graduate school after your undergraduate degree. If you do not love being an undergrad, perhaps think about the majors that allow you to work immediately. On the other hand, if you are passionate about getting more schooling, think about those that promote graduate degrees. 

Remember, college is only four years, but college is also nine months, seven days a week, 24 hours. Make sure that what you plan to dedicate your time to is something you would genuinely be passionate about.

Utilize UConn’s TME resources

UConn has amazing resources that help guide you in choosing a major, one of them being The Major Experience (TME), a resource that provides students with tips and tricks for choosing a major.

First, spending time on the Major Elimination Activity can be a great way to know what you don’t want to major in. By the end of the survey, you’ll have the majors you did not eliminate and ones that subconsciously seem interesting. The survey also divides the majors you still have into “Major Exploration Groups” if you would instead want to look into something more general.

Once you’ve finished your Major Elimination Activity, choose your top five majors. Choosing said majors might be difficult but look through their course catalog, what courses are required and offered, and the different opportunities. 

Then, reach out to the respective TME mentors for the major. These mentors are here for you to ask questions, such as why they chose the major, their career goals, and how they’ve liked it so far, to name a few. 

Let’s say you reached out to five mentors and found three majors that spoke to you. Next, reach out to major advisors and ask them about the program. Inquire about applying to the major and what resources you’ll have once you are in the program.

Take some time

Figuring out a major does not happen overnight, even if it certainly feels like that. A decision like this deserves a bit of time to it. Join clubs that align with your passions in the meantime, giving you an insight into what you’d want to do in your professional career. Look on JobX to see if any jobs would provide you with insight into the profession.

In the end, choosing your major is a significant step in your college career, and while it is hyped up as a big momentous decision, it is truly only four years of your life. The world is constantly changing, and there will be jobs in four years that do not exist now. Don’t close yourself off to opportunities just because you told yourself you wanted to be a neurosurgeon when you were five and try not to be influenced by other people’s opinions. Deciding on a major is your choice and your choice only.

Julliana is a junior at the University of Connecticut majoring in history and journalism. When she isn't trying to understand the fundamentals of ancient Vietnam in class, she enjoys watching reruns of Gilmore Girls, watching recently released movies, and listening to old music.