The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

During the age of influencers and a need to always be unique yet on-trend, it can be hard to figure out what to wear and know what is “in style.” It is especially tricky for us in our early 20s because we want to look young but not childish, and adult but not cheugy. We are beyond high school but still want to look cool, so how do you find the balance between sexy and sophisticated? I have outlined the basic closet every 20-something should have or a variation of at least. This is based on my own personal style, the influencers I follow, and from working in retail. 

I am by no means a stylist and don’t have all the pieces in this basic dream closet, but it includes pieces that can set you up for great fits and leaves room to easily add your own personal style. Basics are so important when beginning to build a closet because they are staples that you can always go back to, and are the bones of any outfit. The more you play around with basics the more interesting outfits you can create. From there you can bring in some fun pieces that add your own personal flair. It’s going to look like a lot on paper, but you can achieve this closet in about 25 pieces or less. 

With that all said, let’s get into it …

tops

Neutral tanks: I have about 10 of these because I absolutely love how easy it is to build outfits around them. You can add fun jackets or pants and still wear a comfy top. However, you only really need a black, brown, and white tank. I prefer them cropped, but that is completely up to you. They could be long, cropped, bodysuits or whatever floats your boat. Tanks are simply a blank canvas to style around and are easy to find at boutiques and on Amazon.

Sweaters: I love sweaters, and they are an easy layer to add on top of your tank top during the winter to stay warm. UConn weather is so unpredictable, but this way you won’t collapse from heat exhaustion in class since you can take off the sweater and still have a cute top on. I recommend a couple chunky sweaters in neutrals, a cropped and long cardigan, and a crewneck. All of these can be dressed up or down for versatility and comfort. Check out UConn merch for the crewneck, and thrift stores for sweaters.

Button-ups: TikTok fashion influencers have really jumped on the button-up train despite it being a staple in women’s closets for decades. I love these for layering, especially during the summer as beach cover-ups, or when you need a layer on cool summer nights. However, they are a useful addition to any outfit, and can be styled in so many ways. Button-ups are another great thrift item, and an easy way to find them for cheap is by looking in the men’s section.

Little black dress: that’s all.

bottoms

Jeans: Ask any of my friends; I live in jeans. When you find a brand that fits you well, jeans can be a great comfortable choice to elevate your everyday outfits so it isn’t always leggings and sweats. I prefer a light wash, straight, or wide-leg jeans, but I’d say as long as you have a black and medium wash pair you’re good to go. Pick a style and have fun. Don’t be afraid of a wide leg or texture when it comes to jeans because they are inherently neutral and basic, so a little flare won’t impact how they match with other pieces in your closet. I buy a lot of mine from Abercrombie, since they’ve changed CEOs and branding recently. 

Trousers: Trousers are just another basic pant that can make your outfits a little more sophisticated and can be worn dressed down, so it doesn’t feel like you’re being a try-hard. Also, just saying the word “trouser” makes it seem like you know what you’re talking about. I love patterned pants and wide-leg pants, so these are a staple for me. I would recommend buying a pair of trousers, like the leather Melina pant from Aritzia, or any wide-leg pant. Also, lean away from black, so it doesn’t look like you’re going to the office. Brown, green, and cream are all fun neutral alternatives.

Outerwear

Blazers: I think social media has really hopped on the blazer bandwagon, but they do add another interesting layer to outfits and can be both fun and sophisticated. Trends change with time, but I am personally a fan of long-line or oversized blazers and having fun with color. Black is a staple, but maybe a hot pink blazer would be a nice pop of color for your everyday wear. 

Coats: You only really need one good coat for winter, but there are two different styles that I love equally, so depending on your style you can go either way. The first is a classic puffer. I always reach for black, but that could be my inner New Englander coming out. The other is a classic long-line coat. These come in so many beautiful colors and patterns and elevate any outfit to a level of cool elegance. The only downside is that coats that will last cost a pretty penny; however, with these styles, you can count on them being “in” for years. 

shoes and accessories

Shoe trends change so quickly that it is hard to even recommend styles that I can be confident will stay relevant. However, you can’t go wrong with a pair of black booties (I prefer chelsea), and a nice neutral sneaker like Vejas for everyday wear. Lastly, and a new found obsession for me, is jewelry. I have no advice when it comes to jewelry because this is where I feel people can really express themselves. There are countless ways to layer and combine pieces to make outfits more interesting, and to add that personal flare. I buy a lot of my jewelry from evryjewels.com; they have so many styles, and there is always a coupon code on Honey that you can use towards purchases.

where to buy?

With all of this being said, a lot of the links I provided are pricey, and that is because it is important to invest in your closet with quality brands you trust. But, as college students, most of us can’t afford that. However, the answer is not to turn to SHEIN or other cheap brands, but rather to thrift. There are so many consignments and thrift stores out there that have ranges of products from designer to Forever21, so you can find anything you want. It takes a bit more effort, but it saves you so much money and prevents more clothes from going into landfills. Pro thrift tip: go to Goodwills in wealthy parts of your state to find those items you want to invest in. Also, open a consigning account at your local shop to get a return on your old clothes, so then you’re spending even less! Clothes should be a fun expression of yourself. Take this outline as a jumping-off point if you are struggling to find your style during this transitional phase of our life. Happy shopping! 

Audrey is a sophomore marketing major and french minor at the university of Connecticut