How To Survive Without Game of Thrones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

*Warning* GAME OF THRONES SPOILERS BELOW*

In case you’ve been living under a rock (or without an HBO subscription) for the last few months, you might be aware that the hit television series Game of Thrones has recently finished airing its record breaking seventh season. If it seems like this season was even shorter…you’re not wrong. Season seven had a total of only seven episodes, with it’s final season rumored to have only six episodes. Please excuse me while I cry….

Now if you are anything like me and are absolutely obsessed you may be disappointed, upset or even sobbing over the ending of this new season, and the dragon sized hole left in your heart now that it’s gone. What makes it even worse, is we are most likely going to have to wait until 2019 to find out what happens to our beloved characters now that Winter has officially arrived. So while we all wait, here are some helpful tips that might stop you from becoming as crazy as the Mad King while we all wait for the new season!

1. Find something to fill the void

Find something to occupy those lonely Sunday nights when your weekly date with the King of the North is no more. Whether this be food, pets, friends, or even finding a Jon Snow of your very own, we won’t judge…just be careful around all of those Jorah Mormonts trying to leap out of the friendzone.

2. Read George R.R. Martin’s A song of Ice and Fire Series

What better way to chase away those post show blues than going back to the place where it all began? Visit the literary version of Westeros our beloved show is created upon, and realize deep down that we’re all at the mercy of George R.R. Martin. It might even take you until 2019 to finish the books because technically George isn’t even done writing them yet.

3. Find a new series with a similar premise, or style

While they’ll never quite be Game of Thrones levels of awesomeness, Westworld, Outlander, Vikings, The Tudors, and House of Cards all have rave reviews, and an avid GOT-like fanbase.

4. Plan a Westeros sight-seeing trip

While you might not have the funds of the iron-bank, websites like TripAdvisor have some reasonably priced trips that allow you to go to some of the locations the cast filmed in while shooting Game of Thrones, such as Ireland, Scotland and some of the gorgeous landscapes and beaches in Spain that served as Dorne, and most recently as Dragonstone.

5. Stalk the actor’s social media accounts for clues

Nearly all the actors are friends behind the scenes in addition to being ally’s on screen. Not only will they post fun cast selfies while out on the town together, they might even grace us with some cool behind the scenes photos! Emilia Clarke has been known to take a selfie or two in the Daenerys Wig.

6. Vent on your own social media account!

It’s your Twitter, you can do what you want! Also, you never know who might see it/retweet it. 

7. Broaden Your Horizons! Check out of some of the GOT actor’s other work!

Many of the Game of Thrones Actors have had very successful film careers as well. Sophie Turner, who plays Sansa, was in X-Men Apocalypse. Peter Dinklage, who plays Tyrion, has an amazingly funny role in Elf. Natalie Dormer, who plays Margaery, was in Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part Two. Jason Momoa/Khal Drogo, has a new Aquaman movie coming out soon,  and our beloved Khaleesi, aka Emilia Clarke, is absolutely amazing in Me Before You…but that’s a movie you shouldn’t watch unless you want to cry ugly tears. Trust us.

8. Learn the GOT theme song on *all* instruments

By the time you learn how to play the Game of Thrones theme song on all different types of instruments, season 8 might have already aired and finished…that song is hard, bro. Also, in Honor of Red Nose Day, the GOT cast teamed up with Coldplay to create a Game of Thrones Musical…it’s awesome and you’re welcome. You should check it out on YouTube

9. Introduce a Friend to the series (When they become addicted and cry over Ned Stark…you can laugh, roll your eyes and assure them that it only gets much, much worse…AKA THE RED WEDDING) #notoverit

10. Binge watch the series (unless if you’re like me and do six seasons in three days, it might not last you until 2019) According to reliable sources if you watch one episode per week, it will get almost exactly up to the expected 2019 release date.

11. *BONUS*

Re-watch Petyr Baelish’s death scene over and over again until you are smiling with satisfaction and so pleased with the power of the Stark sister’s that you’re not even *that* mad you have to wait until 2019.

12. Start a countdown til the season 8 premiere…

Cover Image Source