Style

How to Shop More Sustainably and Ethically

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly going through bouts of anxiety regarding the state of our beautiful Mother Earth. One of the leading impacts on our environment is that of fast fashion, defined and summed up perfectly from this article by the Independent: “fast fashion focuses on speed and low costs in order to deliver frequent new collections inspired by catwalk looks or celebrity styles. But it is particularly bad for the environment, as pressure to reduce cost and the time it takes to get a product from design to shop floor means that environmental corners are more likely to be cut. Criticisms of fast fashion include its negative environmental impact, water pollution, the use of toxic chemicals and increasing levels of textile waste.”

Keep reading to hear some tips from a beginner delving into the world of more sustainable and long term shopping.

1. Quality over Quantity

One of the most important aspects of shopping more ethically is focusing less on how much you buy, but rather what you buy. Brands like Everlane, H&M, PACT and ThredUP focus on organic, upcycled materials and clothes made with ethical labor policies to give you pieces that, yes, may be a little bit more expensive than Forever 21 or American Eagle, but will last you longer and can be bought with a good conscious.

2. Forget Trends, Focus on Timelessness

Fast fashion focuses on our society’s attention span; we are constantly looking for new trends and styles because we get bored so easily, and we are so obsessed with consumerism. Instead of looking to your favorite celebrities to see what’s “in”, try to cultivate your own look that can last you for years to come. These guides that focus on capsule wardrobes will give you the tools to do just that.

3. Go Thrifting

One of my favorite things to do when I’m looking for simple articles of clothing like jeans, sweaters, etc. is going to a local thrift store! Places like Goodwill, Savers, or your local vintage store will have tons of great hidden gems at great prices! I once scored a pair of classic 501 Levi’s for $10.

4. Shop Online

A report shows that 22% of a garment’s climate impact “comes from the process of a consumer driving to the store to try something on.” To cut down on that percentage, try shopping online! A lot of stores will do try on periods, so you can return and exchange if something isn’t quite your size.

5. Try Renting

If there’s a new dress or trend you really want to try, but know you won’t probably wear too many times in the future, try renting it! There are tons of cool sites that offer this possibility, most notably Rent the Runway.

No matter how little you try and change your shopping ways, even doing something small can help the environment and other people around the world.

Sade is currently a senior at UConn, and is enrolled as a Human Development and Family Studies major. Sade enjoys binge-watching youtube videos, doing her makeup, and people who get her name right the first time meeting her (shah-day). Sade hopes to go into early education, preferably into teaching at a head start or birth-to-three center.