How to Make Your Resume/ LinkedIn Hire Ready

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Job searching can be quite scary. To help with the process, you should be constantly updating and working on your resume. If you do not have a solid resume yet, it could make all the difference in your job application. Over the past five years, I have learned tips and tricks on how to improve a resume from professors, professionals and classmates. Below are a few key points.

For your resume: 

1. Format is key.

Take some time to ensure that your resume is laid out neatly. Use fonts such as Arial, Calibri, Garamond, Georgia, Times New Roman, etc.

2.  Leave high school behind.

Once you enter college, your high school information is not needed. If you feel like your resume is lacking or looking empty, you can include just your high school’s name and year of graduation. You should, however, include any extra-curricular activities you participated while attending college.

(P.S. Getting involved on campus helps you form connections and you gain more experience to build your resume.)

3.  Make it pop!

If you are applying for a more creative position, consider including subtle color in your resume.

4.  But don’t forget the basics.

Five skills you should have on your resume in one way or another: communication, leadership/ management, planning/ organizing, problem solving/ reasoning/ creativity, and teamwork.  Look up sample resumes of the career path you are pursuing, take a look for any more keywords or skills you often see. Some companies will scan resumes looking for keywords. If a resume does not have the skills they are looking for, often the whole application will be tossed. 

5.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help. 

Ask to view your colleagues resumes for inspirations. Ask others to review your resume. Have a master resume with all of your experience, education and skills that you can edit and tailor based on suggestions from others and the internships your applying for.  

*Bonus: Include a link to your LinkedIn and portfolio on your resume. *

For your LinkedIn…

If you do not have a LinkedIn, create one ASAP. I describe it as a professional social media site meets digital resume. Since it is recommended to keep your resume under a page, LinkedIn is the perfect platform to include all your experience and achievements. 

1. Try to get a professional photo.

Avoid selfies or group photos. You can even ask a friend to take a headshot of you against a white wall.

2.  Market yourself well.

Be creative in your headline and include key terms to clarify your industry.  Work hard on your summary, which should include an overview of your skills, experiences and interests.  You can even upload or link to videos, images, and presentations.  

3.  Customize your profile URL.

You will be easier to find this way.  

4.  Network, network, network! 

It is not recommended to add people you do not know, but if you find someone who has your dream job, send them a message and start a conversation by asking for advice. 

5.  Be active.

Make sure you are active on you LinkedIn. You may not have experience or projects to update your profile every month but you could be liking, posting, and sharing other posts. You want to have a presence. You could even publish an article; I have seen article go “viral” on LinkedIn. This is an opportunity to show off what you know to professionals and make more connections. 

Happy job searching, collegiettes! 

Cover Image