This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Let’s be real, problems can arise when you’re living with another person. No one’s saying you have to be best friends with your roommate, hell- you don’t even have to be friends for that matter, but regardless of your friendship status, issues will come up, and it doesn’t help to act like they aren’t there. So, let’s talk about talking. 

1. Don’t ignore the elephant in the room. Ignorance, in this case, is not bliss. Address the problem head on, even though it can be uncomfortable. 

2. Relax and take yourself out of the situation. Try to look at this through an outside perspective. 

3. Be honest, but not hurtful. Soften the edges and don’t hit too close to home.

4. Understand it is a shared space… emphasis on SHARED.

5. Be open to what your roommate has to say. Don’t go into it with a closed mind. 

6. But don’t let yourself be manipulated, either. 

7. Settle your differences civilly.

8. Realize living together isn’t forever, even though it may feel like it.

9. Last resort… if nothing has worked, swap rooms, honey!

Moral of the story, don’t sip your tea when there is an issue, address it ASAP. 

P.S. If you plan to switch roommates, be aware of the deadline for switches which can be found here

Thumbnail is courtesy of https://www.shutterstock.com/video/search/two-friends-talking-isolated/.