Wellness

Hobbies You Can Pick Up To Improve Self-Love This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

With summer right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to invest in some new hobbies without having to prioritize school for a few months. The chaos of being a college student often causes us to stop prioritizing ourselves and our hobbies, so let’s talk about ways we can improve self-love throughout the summer with simple yet rewarding hobbies.

exercise that makes your body feel good

I am definitely not here to tell you to start intensely training your body six days a week to prepare your body for hot girl summer, because every body is beautiful and there are hundreds of ways to give your body healthy movement without punishing yourself. YouTubers and influencers such as Ellie Thumann and Hannah Meloche have been promoting “hot girl walks” which are the perfect form of summer exercise to get outside and enjoy the warm weather. There are also plenty of fitness YouTubers who offer free workouts that include pilates, yoga, kickboxing, HIIT or any other workout of your choice to get your body moving. By rewarding yourself with an exercise routine that is catered to your body, you will find yourself looking forward to working out instead of dreading it. 

reading for pleasure

The last thing many of us want to do after studying for nine months straight is to pick up another book. However, if you are not familiar with BookTok yet, I think you may change your mind. BookTok is a TikTok community that reviews and discusses popular books including the works of Colleen Hoover, Emily Henry, and Taylor Jenkins Reed. I started reading for pleasure when I was consumed with BookTok on my For You Page, and I have been addicted ever since. This summer is the perfect time to lay out by the pool or on the beach with a rom-com or a mystery to get your mind off of social media and enrich your mind with the work of these wonderful authors. Check out my article written for The Daily Campus on my personal book recommendations for summer 2022. 

journaling

This hobby is another way to steer clear of social media and complete some self-reflection even if it is just for a few minutes a day. For those like me who prefer a guided method to journaling, I would recommend checking out Amazon, your local T.J. Maxx, or HomeGoods for some cute and simple daily journals to get you started. There are also niche journals on the market that focus on being productive, meditation techniques, intuitive eating, or nighttime reflecting depending on the prompts you are looking for. 

cooking or baking

There is something about preparing a meal for yourself or baking treats for your family that feels so rewarding because you put in hard work to complete it. Whether you are interested in cooking healthier recipes, filming food videos for social media platforms, or funky desserts, social media is the best place to start searching. I have found some staple recipes through food influencers and continue to use TikTok for baking inspiration. Buying yourself a cute apron and playing your favorite music while preparing food is therapeutic and may be your new favorite summer hobby. Making fancy cocktails from home is also a rising trend on social media if you celebrate happy hour! 

Grace is a senior Journalism and English double major at the University of Connecticut. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her making drink creations as a Starbucks barista, headed to spin class, reading the newest books, or writing for the Daily Campus!