This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As a native Connecticut resident, I can 100% understand the hate behind living in Connecticut. Pretty much everyone gets sick of visiting the top 10 most famous spots in Connecticut. I would say that most people view Connecticut as a commuter state to New York or Boston. But in 20 years of living here, I have found some beautiful places worth visiting. There are random corners of this state that I have only learned of this year. If you’re looking for somewhere random to head to this weekend, keep reading. 

Disclaimer: I have not explored every corner of Connecticut and this is not a comprehensive list. Most of these locations hold a touch of sentimental value and I hope you can see what I see in these locations!

1. Belltown Orchard, Glastonbury, CT

I had to throw this spot into the list. I’ve been to the Belltown Orchard twice and I still cannot forget how happy it made it. Going with the Her Campus UConn team was the best bonding experience. It reminds me how much I love doing fall activities. The location is perfect. The actual farm, storefront, and food are simply so well-planned and thought out. It’s exactly what an orchard should be. 

photo of an orchard and flowers.
Original photo by Naiiya Patel

2. Ridgefield, CT

I seriously cannot tell you how much I loved the downtown of Ridgefield when I first visited. I was passing through for a workshop and it ended up being canceled. My boss and I decided to explore the shops in the area. I swear I felt like I was in Stars Hollow. I feel like a lot of people from Ridgefield may end up calling me crazy but I swear I felt the energy. It was adorable and I still think back to Ridgefield as one of those sweet small town areas. 

3. Kent, CT

A group of friends in the middle of a walking path
Original photo by Naiiya Patel

I went camping for the first time this summer at Macedonia Brook State Park. It was absolutely one of the most amazing locations I have ever seen in Connecticut. I cannot imagine how beautiful the rest of the camping sites in Connecticut are but this one holds a special place in my heart. The photo above does not do it justice. I spent the weekend on a camping trip taking in the natural beauty of the park. The next day we spent the morning at a breakfast shop in the actual downtown part of Kent, pursuing book sales. The area is 100% worth visiting if you want a simpler weekend filled with nature.  

4. Bluff Point State Park

Photo of a state park
Original photo by Naiiya Patel

This was an absolutely beautiful spot in Groton, CT. In this area, I feel like everyone runs towards Mystic or New London as the place to be. I found the natural and scenic towns in this area have just as much to offer as the more popular towns. Bluff Point State Park is a beautiful spot to sit while you watch the water. You can also be more adventurous and hike up the route they have laid out. It is extremely beginner friendly in my opinion. 

5. Chaffinch Island Park

photo of a connecticut park
Original photo by Naiiya Patel

As you can see from the photos, this park overlooks a beautiful lake. It has plenty of picnic tables or flat ground to lay a blanket down. I find it to be the cutest picnic spot along the coast! I have come back several times and every time I have enjoyed it. You can sit and enjoy company while watching the boats go along the harbor. In the summertime, the park is at its absolute peak.

conclusion

I will be totally honest: These are completely random spots all over Connecticut. I know that it may seem strange for these to be my hidden gems but I have had some of my best memories across these locations. My friends have dragged me all over Connecticut and their company has been the marking of a gem. I hope you can have some fun checking out these locations or find your own gems across Connecticut!

Naiiya Patel

U Conn '25

Naiiya Patel is a writer for HerCampus UConn. She loves writing environmental, health & wellness, and overall feel good pieces! Naiiya hopes to write more pieces of environmental activism and how to get involved at UConn. Beyond Her Campus, Naiiya works as the Business Manager of the Daily Campus (UConn's student run newspaper). She oversees circulation of the physical paper, advertising, and the financial aspect the organization! Naiiya also works a Residential Assistant on campus in the Honors community! Naiiya is a junior studying Accounting with a minor in Philosophy and Social Responsibility & Impact in Business. Naiiya hopes to work as an Accountant before heading to law school! In her free time, Naiiya enjoys debating philosophy, getting boba, and reading! She is proficient at crocheting and hopes to learn knitting next. Naiiya loves to spend time with friends, focus on her studies, or work on creative projects.