Career > Work

Handling Job Rejection: A College Senior’s Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As a second semester senior, I’ve had more than my fair share of professional rejection. Definitely more than I’d like to admit. Now that I am preparing for graduation, it’s fair to assume that I am in what I like to call the ‘big leagues’ of job rejection. At this point in the job search process, I am playing for keeps and every application seems crucial. 

Being turned down for a role you thought you were perfect for can really tank your confidence. Before you know it, you’re feeling disappointed, vulnerable, and having yourself a full-blown pity party. The tricky thing about rejection is that it not only makes you feel miserable, but it can also hold you back from future success. While I can’t say the sting of job rejection gets better overtime, I can say that I am much more prepared to handle it now. At the end of the day, success and rejection go together, you can’t find success without being willing to take risks. 

If you’re in a rejection rut, here are a couple of ways to rebound and kick your job search back into full force. 

understand that you’re not alone.

It may be only a small comfort to us all, but it’s important to remember that everyone is going through the same thing. College seniors are trying to secure their post-grad plans, juniors and sophomores are finalizing their summer internship plans, established professionals are searching for their next challenge— and all are facing rejection. I know it seems like everyone on LinkedIn has their life figured out, but remind yourself that LinkedIn is more often than not a professional highlight reel. Success stories only come true after facing failure. Reach out to those who are currently or previously have been in the same situation you’re in. Share your experiences and emotions with each other, so that you can be each other’s support system. And when you finally land that dream job, they’ll be one of your biggest cheerleaders. 

it’s not meant to be and that’s okay.

Unfortunately, job rejection sometimes has absolutely nothing to do with you and everything to do with the company. Not getting selected to move on in the interview process or not even getting the interview in the first place is hard, but over-analyzing everything you did is not going to get you very far either. They might have chosen an internal hire, they could have gotten rid of the job listing altogether, or you truly weren’t the right fit. Instead, change your perspective and see the rejection as a new opportunity. You want to go where you are wanted. Accept the rejection, put it past you, and slowly get yourself back into applying regularly. 

consider your approach.

I know I just said to be careful to not over-analyze, but it’s just as unproductive to not do any self-reflection. Are you applying for jobs outside of your proficiency? How well prepared were you for the interview? Are you seeking jobs that truly align with your needs? If you think it’s something with your presentation, then seek a mentor or a trusted friend to look over your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile, and interview practice answers. In this process, make sure for every weakness you find, you highlight a strength. By recognizing your strengths and resilience in the face of challenge, this simple exercise will help you move away from the funk of rejection.

Getting rejected before you even really started your professional career is a humbling experience to say the least. What will make you stand out in your next round of applications, is what you do after that rejection. Of course, it’s good to give yourself time to process and vent but don’t let yourself get stuck in this phase. Work on developing your skill set and use your strengths to their fullest potential. Rejection is a mere setback in your future plans, but it can be more than that. Start viewing rejection as an opportunity to learn more about yourself, the job application process, and make improvements as you continue the job hunt. 

And if you’re a senior with no post-graduate plans yet, that’s okay too. You are qualified, you have plenty of time, and you will find an opportunity that’s right for you. 

Laura is a Senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in Communication and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She has a passion for fashion and photography. Laura is also the current Events Chair for Her Campus UCONN!