Hamza Tanveer: President of Delta Epsilon Psi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.
  • Name: Hamza Tanveer
  • Major & Year: Class of 2018; English/CS
  • Hometown: Windsor, CT

Q: Why did you choose to join Delta Epsilon Psi?

HT: Throughout my life, I’ve never had a stable family setting for my home so the brotherhood aspects really appealed to me as it brought a sense of family, which was the major reason for me joining Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc. here at the University of Connecticut. The professional, acedmic, and philanthropic aspects also really appealed to me as well.

Q: What is your role as the president?

HT: As President of my organization, my roles are as follows: delegating responsibilites and tasks amongst the active body, representing myself and my organization in front of the UConn community, serving as a line of communication between my organization and University administration and staff, and accreditation. 

Q: What events does your organization host?

HT: We host various philanthropic events such as: Conquer the Court, a charity 3 vs 3 basketball tournament; Dodging Diabetes, a charity dodgeball tournament; and Delta Disc, charity Kan-Jam tournament. We have our signature ASaCC program, Chai Time, brewing up the most authentic and delicious chai on campus and invite you to join us in an open and engaging discussion on contemporary issues in the community. 

Q: What impact do you want your organization to have in the community?

HT: The impact that I would want my organization to have in the community is to provide an outlet for highly dedicated and motivated individuals to provide an impact in the community while preserving and honoring the traditions of the South-East Asian culture.

Q: How is your fraternity different from the stereotypical view?

HT: My fraternity is different from the stereotypical view as we are tight-knit brotherhood where we heavily focus on the brotherhood aspect, and our commitment to the community and our philanthropic endeavors.

Q: What is Conquer the Courts?

HT: Conquer the Courts is a charity basketball tournament hosted in order to raise awareness and money for diabetes research. All proceeds will be donated to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and we would greatly appreciate your involvement and support to ensure a succesful event. 

Q: When and where is Conquer the Courts this year? How can people participate?

HT: This year, Conquer the Courts is being held on April 29th, 2017 in the Hawley Armory from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Details can be found on the Facebook event page. For further information, please contact Richie Tekriwala at (443) 889-3057 or richard.tekriwala@uconn.edu  

All photos courtesy of Hamza Tanveer and the Brothers of Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc.