This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As we get closer to the end of the semester it’s time for us to think about what we want to do after graduation: grad school or work. 

There are a lot of things that you need to consider before you make the decision to go to grad school. Check in with your advisor and the Center for Career Development to get more information about the options that you have.  Reach out to faculty members and friends to find more about the careers or programs that you are interested in pursuing.

As you start to plan your future, keeps these questions in mind.

Do you need a Master’s for the career that you want?

Different career tracks have different requirements.  You may need a Master’s, a certificate or just your Bachelor’s.  It is important to check if it will be worth spending the money on the degree. Reach out to your advisor and to the Center for Career Development for information about your specific field.

How are you going to pay for grad school?

College is expensive.  Most of us have a lot of loans when we graduate.   You might not have the money available to pay for grad school so you will need to take out more loans. Then you have even more loans to pay back.  If you need grad school for the career you want, there are options (look out for future articles on how to pay for grad school). If grad school is not an immediate requirement for your career path, look for flexible programs.  If you work first, there are some companies and organizations that will help you pay for your grad school.

Why are you thinking about grad school?

Do you think that it is expected of you to go to grad school?  Is it pressure from family? Or is it because you have no idea what to do once you graduate?  Whatever the reason is, talk to someone (advisors, Center for Career Development).  They can help you figure out if grad school is something you want to do, need to do, or if its something you should put on hold.

No matter what you decide to do, remember that it’s your life and you need to do what’s best for you. Good luck, you got this!

.

Sabrina is a Senior at UConn and is working towards an English degree. She loves reading, painting, music and walks with her dog. You can always find her either in the library or at Starbucks. She hopes to one day be able to travel the world.