Golden Globes Report Card

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

My favorite season has finally arrived!  And it’s not Superbowl season (hell no!), but awards season!  I mean, who wouldn’t want to dress up like glam celebs and walk the red carpet?  Awards season kicked off with the Golden Globes on Sunday, Jan 15, and let me tell you, it was a very disappointing carpet, mainly because double nominee Ryan Gosling wasn’t there! Pale pink was the most popular color (yawn!) of the night.  However, there were some diamonds among the rough.  Here is my report card of the celebs styles of the night:

Charlize Theron

While I was not a fan of her film Young Adult, Theron rocked the new fashion trend, the “mullet dress”.  Her sparkly headband keeps the look young and fresh.  I am not a huge fan of the ruffles in the front, but overall she looked fab.
Grade: B

[pagebreak]

Angelina Jolie

While most people praised Jolie, I was not head over heels in love with this look.  The fit is impeccable, I’ll give it that, but I was a bit bored with the look.  The pops of color added to the look, but I wouldn’t give her best dressed of the entire night.
Grade: A-

[pagebreak]

Jessica Biel

I may be jealous of Biel’s engagement to heartthrob Justin Timberlake, but I was not envious of this dress.  This outfit looks like she took her granny’s doilies and made a dress out of them.  Not to mention the fit of this dress make Biel look like she has a third boob.  The dress should have been short sleeved.  I feel like she is trying to channel Florence Welch from Florence and the Machine, but it just isn’t working. 
Grade: D

[pagebreak]

Sofia Vergara

This Modern Family superstar highlighted her best assets in this body hugging gown.  She kept it simple and sophisticated, making this look effortless.  This star got it right from the bold pink lip to the sleek hair.
Grade: A

[pagebreak]

Evan Rachel Wood

This look was certainly not best dressed of the night, but it most definitely was most unique.  Wood seems conflicted between whether she wanted to be a bird or a lizard that night.  While it is not my favorite look, you also have to wonder how they made such an interesting gown.  Her slicked back hair complemented the dress very nicely.
Grade: C+

[pagebreak]

Salma Hayek

Hayek brought the shimmer to the red carpet.  Most fashion critics were hated this dress, but I liked it.  The dress was too long and the bodice did not fit right, but I liked the black and gold color combo, and who doesn’t love sparkles?  The bodice would have looked better as a sweetheart top instead of cutting straight across her bust, but overall this look was satisfactory.
Grade: B-

[pagebreak]

Reese Witherspoon

This look was just all over the place.  Witherspoon’s hair was a mess, it looked like she needed her roots done, and the dress was a wrinkled mess.  The dress makes her petite frame look short because of the fact that it matched with the red carpet.  I did not like the matching red nail polish, gray would have been better.  The only positive from this look is the sweetheart top.
Grade: D-

[pagebreak]

Lea Michele

Michele went over the top with this look.  While I do love a great emerald piece of statement jewelry, Michele’s ring just didn’t go with the look.  I love the design on the top of this dress, but it does seem a little figure skater-esque.  Michele should have done a slicked back ponytail as opposed to a bouffant hairstyle.  On a side note, it was great to see Michele smiling as opposed to her usual pouty pose.
Grade: C+

[pagebreak]

Jessica Alba

After only have a baby six months ago, you have to give Alba props.  The pale pink color worked best on her skin tone, giving her a natural glow.  I was not a fan of the sparkling flowers all over the dress, I like the accent under her bust which accentuated her slim frame.  The hair and makeup were flawless, as well as the diamond earrings and bracelet.
Grade: A

[pagebreak]

Tina Fey

This comedy queen usually looks like a hot mess on the carpet, but she looked stunning at the Globes.  This plum purple looked great with her golden brown locks.  The earrings did not over power the look.  This is the best we have seen Tina Fey!
Grade: A-

[pagebreak]

Heidi Klum

My favorite piece of the night was not a dress, but Klum’s gorgeous turquoise necklace.  Keeping her hair and dress simple, this show stopping piece looked stunning! 
Grade: A

[pagebreak]

Emma Stone

This red headed beauty truly looked stunning at the Globes.  I loved the cap sleeve and the normally strange belt really worked for Stone.  Her blue eye makeup was daring and her red hair was really complimented by the plum dress.  My only complaint is the shoes, which should have been a platform pump.
Grade: A-

What’s your favorite look of the night? Leave a comment!

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!