A Girl’s Quick Guide to the Super Bowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

For all of the girls out there who don’t know anything about what’s happening on Super Bowl Sunday, other than commercials, food, and the half time show, you’re not alone. However, as a girl who follows football, I’m here to help. Whether it’s to strike up conversation, to impress your guy friends or boyfriend, or just out of your own curiosity, here’s some Super Bowl info that’s sure to help you succeed.

Yes, we’re all excited to see Bey perform with Coldplay this year after she killed it; literally, the lights in the Superdome went out when she last performed the half time show in 2013.

But more importantly, it’s about who’s getting some really big rings and taking home the Lombardi Trophy.

The Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos, the number one teams in their respective divisions, will play in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday, Feb. 7th at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.  It’s going to be a battle between the best offense in the Panthers and the best defense in the Broncos.

Here are some important things to know.

Let’s start with the quarterbacks.

The Broncos have future hall of famer, Peyton Manning, one of the best to ever play the position. Though one can argue that, at the age of 39, he is not nearly as effective as the player he once was, especially after being plagued by injuries in recent years. Manning has the experience, as he’s played on this major stage four times before, winning once. This legend is noticeably on the decline and this could very well be his last Super Bowl appearance ever.

On the other side, the Panthers have the probable league MVP, Cam Newton, who is in his prime. Newton is all over the field, running and passing. He’s playing the best football he ever has in his NFL career to date.

How they made it here.

After a crushing defeat (43-8) to the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl two years ago, the Broncos are back. They’ve had some close calls this season but ultimately finished the season 12-4. Most recently, their defense single-handedly defeated Tom Brady and the reigning Super Bowl champions, the New England Patriots, in the AFC Championship, bringing them to the Super Bowl. 

The Panthers went nearly undefeated, with only one loss all season. They have been the strongest all-around team throughout the season by the records.

Will the Denver defense be able to stop the seemingly unstoppable Panthers and will Manning be able to get something going on offense for the Broncos?

Can Carolina mark this championship-worthy season with a Super Bowl victory for the first time in Panthers history?

Now that you’re all caught up, catch it all go down this Sunday at 6:30 p.m. on CBS!

Cover Image Credit

Taylor is a senior at UConn majoring in Communications and Journalism, dreaming of living and working in New York City. She is passionate about Fashion, Health, and Sports. In her free time, she loves to travel and spend time with family and friends. She is a Starbucks addict and lover of all things dessert.