Get Involved in Politics With This Amazing Internship Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

With politics becoming a growing concern of our generation and seeing an increased number of women entering the male-dominated field of politics, internships opportunities are needed. UConn, along with several colleges in Connecticut, offers an awesome internship program at the Connecticut General Assembly to give undergraduates the experience and networking tools they need.

Often, programs like these aren’t widely advertised or are given vague descriptions. I was able to be a part of this amazing program and want to give a firsthand look at why it’s so beneficial and why more women should take part in it.

About the Program

The program runs from January to May in order to correspond with the spring academic semester and the Legislative Session of the Connecticut General Assembly. Students are matched with a representative or senator depending on their interests, political party, and career objectives. Some students who are not necessarily interested in politics can be placed in an interest-related field (i.e. media). Students receive credits for the program (6-15) depending on how often they intern. Options to intern include M/W, T/TH, M/W/F, or full time (M-F). 

What does It entail?

After you receive your acceptance and get matched with a representative, senator, or office, you attend a two-day mandatory orientation. Positives include getting an official security badge, meeting people with similar interests, and the constant reminder of how great it was for you to get into the program. Negatives include the endless PowerPoint slides.

When orientation is complete and you begin your weekly schedule, day-to-day tasks constantly change. Some days you can be writing testimony, other days dealing with constituents, and some days attending public hearings. Most legislators are flexible allowing you to attend what interests you including House sessions, public hearings, governors’ addresses, and other events.

The CGA offers various skills workshops that some interns are allowed to attend along with events such as ice cream socials and pet therapy events. Constantly, the main lobby of the CGA is flooded with various union worker groups, lobbyists, and support groups. It offers a great opportunity to network with people you would have not had a chance to otherwise. Plus, if you flip your badge around, they sometimes think you are actually a representative and offer to get you coffee.

Who Is Eligible?

According to the CGA website applicants must:

• be 18 years of age or older by program start
  • have competed 20 credits by program start
  • possess a minimum 2.7 grade point average
  • be registered for a course (varies by institution) in order to receive credit for the internship

How Do I Apply?

It’s a two-step process:

1. Contact the official Legislative Internship Program Advisor on your campus. Each school has different registration requirements in relation to eligibility criteria and credit. –For UConn, the on campus advisor is Dr. Kimberly Bergendahl.
  2. Complete the online application process.

September 1st: Application period begins w/application posting on website.

November 1st: Program applications and all corresponding materials are due.

Late November/Early December: Interviews are held at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.

Mid-December: Offers to participate are extended to students.

January: Legislator assignments are announced. Mandatory two day orientation. Placements officially begin (week following Orientation).

What People Are Saying:

“Honestly, it was more than I expected to be. Even though I’m just an intern, senators come up to me to get my opinion and some have even sat down with me to discuss my career objectives.” – Tori, Central Connecticut State University

“I didn’t expect to have as much freedom as I do. Some days I’ll tell my representative I want to attend this specific public hearing or a certain event in the LOB and they’ll let me go. It allows me to fulfill my own interests.” – Samantha, Fairfield University

“It’s more than just setting at a desk. The program offers field trips to the Supreme Court, corrections facilities, mock sessions, and even social events. The internship coordinator really works with you to make sure you’re getting the most you can from the program.” – Alexis, UConn

Why You Should Apply

1. You get firsthand experience in the legislative process.
  2. Networking.
  3. You find out about all these bills that are going through committees that you wouldn’t have known about prior such as changing the legal marriage age to 18, requiring motorcyclists to wear a helmet, and recreational marijuana.
  4. It’s a great resume builder.

For students interested in more information, interns from UConn will be available to answer questions and give insight on Tuesday April 11th from 7:00-8:00 p.m. in Oak Hall 408.

Cover Image Source