Flipping for Flannels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Calling any girl who has donned yoga pants and a slightly too casual V-neck tee in an attempt to capture the ever-difficult cozy but cute look: The time has come to put the yoga pants down (I know they are tempting, but you’ll thank me later) and rejoice. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it comes in plaid.

The lumberjack gods have conspired to bring to the world of fashion a fall look that is comfy, cute, sexy…and affordable! That’s right, flannels are in. Unlike its previously butch and masculine history, button-down flannels take a girly stance on fall fashion which have become a wardrobe staple piece. While the shirt itself may not look like the hottest thing out there, flannels are so versatile because they can be dressed up or down with accessories, shoes, and layers.

The key to making a plaid shirt pop is by layering. This style looks great both under and over chunky sweaters, with a chambray shirt, or as a jacket. Flannel shirts usually fall a little longer than the top of the thigh, providing the perfect amount of coverage (check that half-cheek rule!) for leggings and jeans. The other great part about this style is that it can be totally dressed up, or down, depending on occasion. As seen on the right, a flannel shirt paired with skinny leather jeggings, bold heels, and knit sweater creates a chic and edgy vibe, especially when worn with chunky gold accessories.

For those of you in search of a more casual look, grunge chic is the way to go. It’s actually difficult to go wrong with leggings (unless they’re see through, in which case you should not be allowed to step out of your dorm), a cable-knit scarf, and lots of layered tops. If you’re going to go the rock-influenced grunge direction, you have to go big or go home. Take a cue from the beloved Rihanna and rock this look with some serious combat boots, and maybe a few studded pieces here and there if you are feeling really bold.

No matter how you decide to personalize the flannel shirt look, its obvious that this piece is a definite fall must have. If you’re still not inspired (or currently pulling up every online shopping website you can think of) take a look at these:

My name is Shannon Gruda and I am currently a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying journalism. I absolutely love all things fashion-related and I hope to one day be a part of a major publication in New York City. My obsession for magazines and style is far reaching, and I am so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team at UConn. Aside from the fashion aspect of my life, I am a major foodie with a passion for desserts, dance, and traveling. That's all for me!