This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Being in the literal middle of nowhere with a 30-minute car ride to the closest “city,” our food options are quite limited. As a foodie, going out to eat/getting take-out is one of my favorite things ever. I mean, no dishes to do? Sign me up! Thankfully, I have found some gems in Storrs that offer a yummy treat for when your heart desires it. 

Kathmandu Kitchen & Bar 

My absolute favorite is Kathmandu. Located across from the Oaks Building 8 (T-Mobile), Kathmandu is the perfect spot if you’re looking for the most flavorful foods. I tried Indian cuisine for the first time several years ago, and it’s safe to say my life hasn’t been the same ever since. The combination of various flavors and incredible spices creates a delectable experience every single time I go. My favorite dishes are: Chicken Tikka Masala, Samosa, Vegetable Pakora and Garlic Naan. I’m an absolute sucker for anything spicy, so I always get my Chicken Tikka medium. If you don’t prefer spice, you can ask for mild, and if you’re willing to slightly burn your entire body, head for hot! Naan is an Indian type of bread, but it isn’t like any kind of regular bread you would find at the grocery store. Cooked in the tandoori oven, naan comes out soft, but slightly charred at the same time. Plus… who doesn’t love garlic? Think of vegetable pakora as the most delicious vegetable fritter you will ever taste. Dipped in chickpea batter and then fried, it’s the perfect combination of crispy with a delicious filling that you can dip in their three options of chutney. What I love most about Indian cuisine is it truly caters to any type of diet. If you are vegan or vegetarian, there are plenty of options to choose from. Plus, if you want to save money, one entree is easily enough to feed two. If you take anything away from this article, please let it be that you need to try Kathmandu. It’s my saving grace (if you can’t already tell). 

EatJoy 

I’m sure you have all heard of EatJoy, and for good reason. As our local poke spot, EatJoy offers a variety of appetizers, already curated bowls, build-your-own bowls and even sushi burritos! My typical order is: A build-your-own bowl with sushi rice, cucumbers, extra ginger, salmon, tuna, avocado, seaweed salad, wonton chips and onion flakes, topped with spicy mayo and unagi sauce. I then ask for an order of Crab Rangoon (cream cheese and crab wrapped in a wonton and then fried) with a side of sweet chili sauce. I usually go for EatJoy when I want something a bit “healthier.” Fish and rice isn’t bad for you, right? Either way, it somehow always hits the spot and leaves me feeling satisfied for hours on end. 

Dog Lane 

Of course, I had to mention Dog Lane because it’s a staple in the UConn community. Serving “farm to table” style, Dog Lane is full of delicious choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They also have a range of delicious drinks, spanning from teas to coffee to refreshers. My favorite item on their menu is “The Best Evah Egg Sandwich.” I always get it on ciabatta and it includes applewood smoked bacon, avocado, smoked pepper jack cheese, chipotle mayo and tomato. I will say, though, I believe that Dog Lane is a bit overpriced, which is why I don’t go that often. If you’re willing to spend the money and want something tasty, it’s the place for you. 

Little Aladdin Mediterranean Grill 

Little Aladdin Mediterranean Grill is a hidden gem located in the University Plaza next to Price Chopper. I’m a lover of Mediterranean cuisine, so this place is one of my go-tos. My favorite dish to get is the Chicken Shawarma entree. For $12.99, it comes with chicken shawarma, bread and two sides (choices of hummus, garden salad, rice, and french fries). I find the chicken to always be tender and perfectly spiced, creating a scrumptious bite filled with chicken, pita and rice. They also have various other choices, including salads, wraps, dishes over rice, appetizers and sandwiches. If you’re looking to order, make sure you pay attention to their hours. They operate from 11 am to 8 pm Sunday through Friday and are closed Saturday. 

Sgt Pepperoni 

Sgt Pepperoni comes in handy particularly after a night out for one specific item on the menu: a meltdown. If you haven’t heard of a meltdown, it’s described as “everything in the kitchen.” On the menu, it states, “This thing gets its own category because it is an abomination. A footlong grinder, with shredded steak, peppers, onions, buffalo chicken tenders, mozzarella sticks, mac & cheese bites, fries, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mayo, and hot sauce. At almost 3,000 calories (we had a scientist check), this sandwich is not for the weak of heart. Be warned.” Epic. Mind-boggling. And most importantly, delicious. A meltdown is the perfect drunk food, if you’re of age, of course. You’re in the mood for fries? Got it. You’re in the mood for chicken tenders? Got it. Want a philly cheesesteak? No problem. It satisfies every single craving all in one bite. Best of all, one half is always more than enough, which means you can split it with a friend. Coming out at $13.75, that’s only roughly $7 after splitting. Full belly, delicious bites, 6 inches long (split in two), all for $7. Score! 

These are my top five restaurant recommendations in Storrs, CT that I always keep on a rotating basis. Of course, there are others that are delicious too, but I find these five to be the most consistent. If you have any recs, please let me know! Happy eating!

Jordana is a senior at the University of Connecticut double majoring in communication and journalism and minoring in women, gender and sexuality studies. She spends her free time hanging out with friends, writing for The Daily Campus and most importantly, watching Below Deck Mediterranean. To reach Jordana, shoot her an email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu or DM her on Instagram @jcastelli22!