Five Female Hosted Podcasts to Listen to During Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Nowadays it seems like everybody is making a podcast. Influencers, celebrities, athletes, and those who are using it to make a name for themself. Last semester, I began listening to podcasts almost every day when I walked, cleaned, and worked out. Many of the most well-known podcasts are created and hosted by men. Here are some of the podcasts I listen to every day that are female hosted and in one way or another empower women to better themselves, support other women, and enter previously male-dominated fields.

1. SYd & olivia talk shit

A comedy podcast can make me laugh during some of the worst days, and this podcast hosted by Olivia Dilaurentis and Syd Heller never fails me. Both women are writers on popular social media and tv networks like Nickelodeon, Snapchat, and Smosh. I found out about this podcast after I kept seeing their skits on my for you page on Tik Tok. The humor and structure of the podcast are all over the place, but it works because both hosts are effortlessly funny and have great chemistry. The light and playful nature of the podcast makes it a constant go-to for me. Not only that, it is exciting to see two young women thriving in comedy writing in Hollywood.

2. Dressed: The History of fashion

Whenever I’m feeling uninspired or wanting to learn more about a particular brand or time period of fashion, Dressed is the first place I go. The podcast is hosted by April Calahan and Cassidy Zachary, who are fashion historians. This podcast is a go-to spot to learn almost anything about fashion from the Ancient Egyptians to today. One of the most frequent types of episodes is interviews of people creating change in the fashion industry. Just some of the exciting guests they’ve had are the costume designer of Bridgerton, Director of the Museum at FIT, and many owners of up-and-coming brands. My other favorite type of episode they create is spotlight episodes on fashion icons and brands. As a young woman who wants to work in Fashion History, hearing from two women in the industry’s experience and knowledge is exciting and encouraging.

3. Morbid: A true crime podcast

I have tried listening to dozens of true crime podcasts, but I always go back to Morbid. The podcast is hosted and produced by aunt-and-niece duo, Alaina Urquhart and Ashleigh Kelley. Ashleigh is a hairdresser during the day, and Alaina is an autopsy technician. The bubbly personality of Ashleigh and Alaina’s expertise in the field creates a unique and engaging dynamic many crime shows lack. They try to keep the serious topics lighthearted by adding humor, but it is always tastefully done. The most important part of the show is they always focus on the victims and tell who they were and how to support their families. I love this about the show because I feel many true crime podcasts focus their attention on the perpetrator rather than those impacted by the crime. Morbid is definitely not your average true crime show, which is what makes it one of the best.

4. Dark History

Many people know the host of this podcast, Bailey Sarian, for her makeup skills and “Makeup and Murders” series on youtube. After watching many of her true crime makeup tutorials, I started listening to her podcast. On this podcast, she talks about parts of history never taught in school. Many are incidents that were attempted to be covered up by the government or those involved, like the Tuskegee experiments or the Black Plague in San Francisco. Bailey’s blunt and sarcastic sense of humor when criticizing those who contributed to our darkest moments of history adds a certain level of comedy to normally dark topics. The combination of the host’s sarcastic charm and bringing attention to those who have suffered and been forgotten makes the show a current favorite of mine.

5. Self Love fix

Last but certainly not least, is this self-help podcast hosted by Beatrice Kamau. She is a self-love coach and involved in metaphysical work when she is not hosting her podcast. Most of the podcast centers on healing from past relationship trauma and how to bring romantic partners into your life that are good for you. Beatrice also talks about putting your mental health first in relationships with family and friends. She will sometimes include how zodiac signs and meditation play a role in relationships and well-being. This podcast is so helpful because it gives a mix of relationship, mental health, and self-improvement advice without ever coming off as preachy.

During women’s history month, it is important not only to remember women’s history, but also to support media and businesses made by women. All of these podcasts have allowed me to educate and enjoy myself while supporting other women, and I highly recommend you give them a listen!

Elysia Rudman is the TikTok Chair of Her Campus UConn. Elysia loves writing about fashion, pop culture, and social issues. She is currently a Junior studying Marketing. On Campus, Elysia is also the Vice President of Business Management Society. In her free time she loves going to museums, spending time with her dogs, and going to spin classes.