This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

On Feb. 13, TikToker Noah Miller (@nmillz1) posted a video of him walking outside with headphones on listening to the song, “All In My Head (Flex) (feat. Fetty Wap)” by the girl group Fifth Harmony, and thus launched the 2024 Fifth Harmony Renaissance. Harmonizers all around the world are tuning in to what seems to be the revival of this once-famous girl group and their iconic songs! If you don’t know who Fifth Harmony is, then allow me to give you a brief history lesson.

Fifth Harmony was an American girl group formed in 2012, who finished in third place on the US version of the show “The X Factor,” a televised music competition. The group consisted of Ally Brooke, Dinah Jane, Lauren Jauregui, Normani, and Camila Cabello. For the next four years, they released three albums consisting of now-popular songs I’m sure we’ve all heard of, such as “Miss Movin’ On,” “BO$$,” “Sledgehammer,” “Worth It,” “Work from Home,” and of course “All in My Head (Flex).”

While still in the group, Camila Cabello released solo songs, which were extremely successful. Camila decided to leave the group in Dec. 2016 to pursue a full-time solo career. The remaining four members still went on to make new music before ultimately announcing their hiatus as a group in March 2018 to pursue solo projects.

Now, why did this go viral? The answer relies on nostalgia, especially from Gen Z who grew up during the era when groups like Fifth Harmony and One Direction were active. As a member of Gen Z, I can definitely say that the 2014-2017 era was one the best eras to be a kid in. I was in late elementary to early middle school, and it was such a carefree time where I never had to worry about stressful things. It was a simple time, to say the least.

The first member of the group to join this renaissance was Dinah Jane, who posted a TikTok on Feb. 17 singing along to the song that started it all. Noah Miller duetted the video, announcing that she was the “first member unlocked.”

Next, Ally Brooke reposted a video on Feb. 18 of harmonizers singing the song. Noah Miller duetted the video saying that she was now the “second member unlocked.”

@allybrooke

Fifth Harmony Renaissance??! I’m now caught up. We were iconic and still are. 😉💖 Love you guys. #fifthharmony

♬ All In My Head (Flex) (feat. Fetty Wap) – Fifth Harmony

Then on Feb. 24, Lauren Jauregui posted a TikTok of her vibing to the song. Noah, of course, duetted the video saying that Lauren was now the “third member to be unlocked.”

On the same day when Lauren posted her TikTok, Camila Cabello commented on one of Noah Miller’s TikTok’s “forever banger tbh.” Though she didn’t post a TikTok about it, it’s clear that she’s the “fourth member unlocked.”

As of Feb. 28, four out of the five original members have interacted with the TikTok by duetting his video or commenting as you’ve seen above. Normani has yet to join in, but there’s a possibility that she might, considering she just announced her new album Dopamine.

Unfortunately, TikTok has very recently muted the official song on the platform. Will this mark the end of the Fifth Harmony renaissance? Well, I hope not; if Fifth Harmony bands together again after so many years, it would make history!

Ashley Bejar writes fun and informative articles for the Her Campus chapter at UConn! She is from Bridgeport, CT and comes from an all-Peruvian family. Ashley is currently a sophomore, first-gen, psychology and human development & family sciences double major at the University of Connecticut! In high school, she worked and presented a Capstone project. This included a year of research/experimenting, writing an article of the data, and presenting the findings to a panel of judges. She also writes original stories for fun on the internet. Aside from writing articles, Ashley is involved in numerous clubs and organizations. She is an avid KPOP listener and loves to learn the dances and is a member of the UConn KPOP group Seoular. She loves to work a lot with children as well. In the future, she hopes to be a child psychologist/therapist! On campus activities include community outreach (specifically with children), acting in plays & musicals for UConn Dramatic Paws, and dancing to a multitude of genres of music!