Election Hero Images 2?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Election Hero Images 2?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Female Indigenous Activists Who Are Changing Our World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

While the months of October and November welcome us with colorful leaves and sweater weather, it is also a time to commemorate and honor the heritage, diverse culture, and accomplishments of the Native American people. With Indigenous People’s Day on October 12th, and November, aka Native American Heritage Month, just around the corner, this is a time to reflect on the long history of oppression and violence that Native Americans and other indigenous peoples have been subjected to for centuries. Unfortunately, many indigenous groups continue to fight for their basic human rights to this day, among other marginalized groups in our society. Here’s a reminder that Indigenous People’s Day is every day and that we should always strive to educate ourselves and others about the struggles and culture of indigenous peoples! To highlight some of the individuals standing on the frontlines for justice, here are a few female indigenous activists whose undying resilience and empowerment of women continue to change our world for the better (stick around until the end for a surprise!).

Autumn Peltier

Otherwise known as the “Water Warrior,” 16-year-old Canadian activist Autumn Peltier of the Anishinaabe-kwe people, from the Wikwemikong First Nation, is a trailblazer in clean water advocacy. At just 13 years old, she delivered a speech on the issue of water protection to world leaders at a United Nations conference (my 13-year-old self could never). Autumn truly amplifies the voice of Canadian indigenous communities and is an inspiration to young women all over the world.

Image link: https://images.app.goo.gl/bczVDnxvT1sk9eVZ8

Sônia Guajajara

Sônia Guajajara, of the Guajajara people in the Amazon, is a Brazilian environmental and indigenous activist. Her work as a determined activist focuses on major issues in Brazil, including the destruction of the Amazon rainforest and the protection of indigenous rights. Sônia continues to spark change and inspire others as a leading voice in numerous organizations, such as Articulação dos Povos Indígenas do Brasil (Articulation of the Indigenous Peoples of Brazil). 

Image link: https://images.app.goo.gl/q9iTGUsMVuENNn278

Sarah Deer

Sarah Deer, of the Muscogee Creek Nation, is most well-known for her passionate advocacy for survivors of sexual and domestic violence within Native American communities. As a lawyer, she has also played a significant role in creating and reforming legislation on sexual violence, tribal law, and victims’ rights. Sarah is an author and contributor to many written reports and books that delve into these issues. 

Image link: https://images.app.goo.gl/6VWyZhqSCZ62KErq8

Pratima Gurung

A powerful speaker, activist, and leader? Pratima Gurung, an indigenous woman from Nepal, is another who fits all of the roles above. As a woman with a disability, Pratima strives to empower other indigenous women with disabilities to become leaders in their communities. Her work inspires others to step up and become active participants and decision-makers in the issues that impact their unique circumstances.

Image link: https://images.app.goo.gl/Lw6jPRLsfWiQwNNF9

And, as promised earlier, here is a list of indigenous-owned small businesses and artists on Instagram, nonprofit indigenous organizations, and indigenous podcasts to support and share!

Small Businesses/Artists

• @indigenously.made (Jewelry)

• @indigofoxcrafts (Jewelry)

• @rezinbabe (Jewelry)

• @chiefladybird (Art)

• @tylerjsloane (Photography)

• @kayajoan (Art)

Organizations (to donate to or share!)

Podcasts

• All My Relations, hosted by Matika Wilbur and Adrienne Keene

• Always Was, Always Will Be Our Stories, hosted by Marlee Silva

Claire Lee

U Conn '24

Claire is a freshman at the University of Connecticut, majoring in biology on the pre-law track. Aside from writing, Claire enjoys listening to any kind of music, sharing her passion for climate activism and intersectionality, and napping.