Wellness

Fall Skincare Essentials Based on Your Skin Type

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The beautiful season of bright foliage is upon us, and I could not be more excited for all to come. This new autumn air calls for a change in routine. The colder months can dry skin faster, so it’s important to keep a routine to maintain healthy and clear skin. If you have oily-prone skin like me, I also have a few recommendations. Keep reading to learn more about different skincare products for your skin type.

La Roche Posay

My go-to cleanser all year round is La Roche-Posay Purifying Foaming Cleanser. This cleanser is for normal to oily skin. The label states that it’s dermatologist-recommended, which is always a green flag to look for in skincare products. I first tried this product in a sample size given to me after a visit to the dermatologist. After a few days, my skin looked clearer and appeared to have a glow. The skincare brand is named after La Roche Posay thermal springs in France. A test of the water concluded that “the thermal water contains selenium which provides soothing and antioxidant properties perfect for skin care.” Overall, this is a quality product that won’t break the bank. You can find it at your local drugstore or Target.

Cetaphil Lotion

After washing your face or body, it’s important to moisturize your skin with lotion. Cold air makes skin dry faster, so applying lotion is critical for these colder months. People with oily skin often believe they don’t need to moisturize because it will make their skin more oily. However, this is not true— people with all skin types should moisturize. Cetaphil is also recommended by dermatologists and was given to me by a dermatologist in a sample size. The Cetaphil website claims that 94% of users report having hydrated skin after only one use. This product is safe and good for sensitive skin and is something I would recommend to anyone.

Sun Bum Sunscreen

Incorporating SPF into your daily routine is important during all months of the year. Sun Bum’s face sunscreen is a great option to remind yourself to protect your skin this season. This product is vegan and cruelty-free. In addition, vitamin E helps fight against the appearance of aging skin. This means using sunscreen daily will help your skin fight against wrinkles, sun spots, etc. Using sunscreen, whether it is a product of Sun Bum or not, helps decrease the risk of skin cancer.

Cerave face wash

For normal to dry skin I would recommend a hydrating cleanser to wash your face. Cerave has a hydrating facial cleanser developed with dermatologists that is safe for sensitive skin. Although this product did not work for me due to my skin type, I know many others who swear by this product. This face wash contains ingredients such as ceramides and hyaluronic acid that have been proven to restore the skin barrier. In addition, it’s non-comedogenic which means that it will not clog your pores. Cerave products are recommended by dermatologists and are easy to find in drugstores.

Mighty patch

For times when an uninvited friend appears on our face, although it may be tempting to pop, a better option may be to apply cream or a pimple patch. Pimple patches are a new trend for getting rid of those pesky pimples. After leaving these patches on for a while, peeling them off can be incredibly satisfying. Mighty Patch by Hero Cosmetics has pimple patches for different types of breakouts. For instance, there are patches for the early stages of a pimple as well as for whiteheads and large breakouts. These patches are filled with hydrocolloids to help extract the fluid from the pimple. To get maximum usage out of this product it should be used overnight or for six hours. You can find these patches in stores such as Target and Ulta.

Eucerin Eczema Body Wash

If your skin is prone to dryness and you find your skin getting eczema, the brand Eucerin is known for moisturizing dry skin. A few months ago, I found out that I was getting eczema over my body. I use the Eucerin eczema body wash as a preventative measure to relieve my dry skin. This product has worked for me and works for many others. Ceramides found in this body wash help your skin lock in moisture. Eucerin is safe for sensitive skin and is recommended by dermatologists. I find this product at my local drugstore.

With the fall season comes the stress of midterms and finals approaching us, and stress acne or dry skin may appear. It’s important to keep your skin nourished during this time more than ever. I hope reading this has led you to have found a product that will work well for your skin type and will maybe even be a part of your daily skincare regime.

Emily is the Facebook Chair of Her Campus UConn. Emily is a junior at the University of Connecticut, majoring in Communication. She enjoys writing for entertainment about fashion and lifestyle. Additionally, she loves to give advice on topics such as career and self-love. Emily has had multiple internships related to marketing and social media. She has interned for a vegan pizza company, a NYC fashion show, and her latest internship at LKPR where she dove into public relations related to toy companies. When Emily is not writing articles she might be listening to the Lumineers, grabbing a pumpkin cream cold brew, or thrifting.