This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

So the doc told you that you need glasses.  You think it’s cool because you’ve had your eyes on some trendy, thick-rimmed glasses to complete your wardrobe. Open your eyes. There are so many challenges that come with wearing glasses that you visually-gifted humans never catch sight of.  Here are a few to let you know what you’re about to get into.

1.  People asking to try on your glasses. 

1. I look weird without them. 2. You’ll stretch them out. 3. I kind of need them to, you know, see.

2. People refusing to believe that you actually need glasses.

No, I’m not trying to look cute or smart. Just suffering from visual impairment.

3. Drinking hot beverages.

Most of us glasses-wearers have perfected the art of ~sipping~ due to the whole fog phenomenon.

4. Rain.

Even after you try to wipe off your glasses you’re left with a streaky, blurry mess.

5. Sports.

If you wear them they might get damaged and if you don’t you won’t play well. Classic lose-lose situation. 

6. Sunny? Suck it up.

Prescription sunglasses are a hassle to switch out all the time but that sun reflecting off the snow is actually a hazard.

7. Laboratory.

Getting stuck with a lab this semester has never been more fun now that you can wear goggles on glasses! Not.

Just when you think there’s no end in sight, your doctor gives you an option to feast your eyes on – contact lenses.  However, you’ll see that this “simple” solution may be a sorry sight.

1. Falling asleep with contacts in.

There is no worse pain.

2. Having to jam little plastic polymers into your EYEBALLS.

It may get easier to deal with as time goes on but they’ll never be “unnoticeable!” like the box says.

3. Swimming.

Nothing worse than sacrificing a lens to the pool filter.

4. Trying to take your contacts out for five minutes straight before realizing that they were never in your eyes.

This is what you get for being responsible and taking proper care of your contacts- physical pain and self-loathing.

5. Irritated, red eyes.

Bloodshot eyes can imply many things and you’ve heard it all from people who think they’re funny.

6. Staying the night somewhere other than home.

Unless you have spare lenses and glasses at all your friends’ houses you will inevitably be left visually vulnerable.

7. The constant risk of getting them stuck in your eyes.

No matter how often you wear contacts, the warnings that your eye doctor engrained in your mind haunt you on a daily basis. 

In hindsight, we should probably be nicer to people who are less fortunate than us in the eye department. And if you’re one of those people with less-than-perfect vision, keep your eyes peeled for a good laser eye surgeon!