Culture > News

Everything You Need to Know About Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In March 2021 Angelina Jolie filed court documents against her ex-husband Brad Pitt alleging domestic violence. Recently, the details of the abuse was been opened to the public.

Timeline of relationship

2003: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt met on the set of Mr. and Mrs. Smith while Brad is still married to Jennifer Aniston.

2005: Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston announce their separation on January 7; Jennifer Aniston officially filled for divorce in March and it was finalized on October 2.

2005: Angelina Jolie goes to Ethiopia to adopt her daughter Zahara Marley; Brad Pitt would accompany her on the trip.

2006: Angelina’s two children Maddox and Zahara have their last names changed from Jolie to Jolie-Pitt in January; in March of this year Angelina gives birth to Shiloh Jolie-Pitt, and December the couple makes their first red carpet debut.

2007: Angelina Jolie publicly addresses her relationship with Brad Pitt and confirms that their relationship started somewhere around 2005, also in this year Angelina travels to Vietnam to adopt their fourth child, Pax Thien.

2008: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie welcome twins Knox Léon and Vivienne Marcheline.

2014: Brad and Angelina get married in a small intimate wedding.

2016: Angelina files for divorce from Brad. She cited irreconcilable differences and requested physical custody of their six children and visitation for Pitt.

THE AFTERMATH

July 2021: Brad Pitt loses previously awarded time with his kids during the custody battle.

October 2021: Angelina sells her part of a winery she shared with Brad Pitt.

February 2022: Brad sues Angelina accusing her of harming the company’s reputation.

August 2022: People gained access to FBI documents about an incident between Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt on a plane in 2016. According to the FBI report, Brad grabbed and shook Angelina, pushed her into a wall and punched the plane’s ceiling, he was also accused of choking and pushing his kids.

October 2022: According to US Weekly Brad Pitt is ”sick to his stomach” following the rumors of a abuse, he ”maintains that it’s lies and that Angelina will stop at nothing to ruin his name”

CONCLUSION

The court cases filed by both Angelina and Brad are still ongoing and the public doesn’t and probably won’t ever know all the details that happened in this almost decade-long relationship. Regardless, 1 in 3 women worldwide are victims of intimate partner abuse. Many times women are shamed into silence and this is only magnified when the man is a beloved and well-known actor. Now we don’t know the full details, but it’s important to not write off Angelina’s claims because you like Brad Pitt as an actor. Most importantly, I hope that we can start to realize the very damaging effects of intimate partner abuse.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1(800) 799-SAFE (7233) or visit thehotline.org

Naya Hall

U Conn '26

Naya is a freshmen at the University of Connecticut studying English. She loves reading , Taylor Swift, and watching romcoms and coming of age movies.