Everything To Know About Blair Imani & #SmarterinSeconds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Blair Imani is a 28-year-old author, activist, historian, and social media sensation. She shares the intersection of being a Black, bisexual, Muslim woman living in America — and she uses these experiences to enrich the videos she shares with her 519,000+ Instagram followers.

Continue reading to learn more about Blair’s inspiring activist projects and what she stands for.

read this to get smarter

Blair is the author of three books: Modern HERstory, Making Our Way Home, and her most recent novel, Read This to Get Smarter.

Penguin Random House describes Read This to Get Smarter as “An approachable guide to being an informed, compassionate, and socially conscious person today.” The book discusses race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, class, and more. There are self-reflection questions, too, for a deeper learning experience.

#FempowerBeauty

Blair started her collaboration with @FempowerBeauty through modeling. Recently, she recently announced that she is now a proud co-owner. The brand, popular for its lipstick duos, is lesbian-owned, empowering, and inclusive.

In an Instagram statement, Blair declared: “Whether you express yourself as feminine, neutral, masculine, none of the above or somewhere in between, you belong in the Fempower community.”

Fempower Beauty utilizes tools like Instagram and its website to combine beauty, education, and activism. They are transparent about the ingredients used in their products and seem committed to replacing long-standing toxic beauty standards with healing and acceptance.

The brand feels more like a community and celebration than a makeup line!

@Feminist

Blair is also Head of Education for the viral Instagram account @Feminist. The account, boasting 6.5 million followers, is a collaborative platform that combines art, current events, and education to help promote intersectional feminism for all.

The account advocates for consensual sex, abortion rights, self-love, and so much more. It’s a great space for people to learn and become more socially conscious.

#Smarterinseconds

On top of her other amazing accolades, Blair Imani is the creator of the viral web series Smarter In Seconds.

Her vibrant, informational videos educate her followers on issues from white supremacy and LGBTQ+ history, to period stigmas and perfectionism. Blair challenges people to think about how history and culture affect the policies and events of today.

She often invites other influencers, such as @SusannaBarkataki and @Black.Nutritionist to join her videos.

Despite all the projects that Blair Imani has launched herself or collaborated on, it is clear that this is just the beginning! Stay tuned with Blair through social media to see what the energetic educator and creator has in store next.

This article is part of a series, #FeministFriday, where Chloe Hummel seeks to highlight standout feminists making a difference in the world right now. Stay tuned!

Chloé Hummel is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn. Chloé enjoys writing articles that help advance the goals of intersectional feminism. She also works as a marketing assistant for Globe Pequot Press in Essex, CT. In her spare time, Chloé enjoys yoga, pilates, and reading fantasy books. She is a passionate vegan, a 70s music enthusiast, and a poor piano player.