Elton John Says ‘Farewell Yellow Brick Road’ to Announce Final Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Elton John has announced his final tour as a performing musician will begin Sep. 8, 2018 so he may “fully embrace the next important chapter of [his] life”.

John’s career began in 1969 when he released his debut album, Empty Sky. Since then, he has released more than 60 albums including Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973), The Lion King – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1994), Love Songs (1995), and Wonderful Crazy Night (2016).

John has composed over 4,000 performances since 1970, and achieved 38 gold and 31 platinum/multi-platinum albums in his career.

He has received over a dozen awards as a performer and as an ambassador of several charities. John also had a role acting as himself in the 2017 film, Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

From September 2018 to March 2019, John will be touring around the United States. From May through June 2019, he will be performing throughout Europe, with several stops in Germany and others in Belgium, Sweden, Denmark and more. The tour is said to last until 2021, so more tour dates are anticipated.

John’s ‘Farewell’ tour will be traveling to New England, with a few concerts in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York and even one show at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut.

One thing is for sure, these ticket prices will not be cheap. The ‘Farewell’ tour is anticipated to gain $420 million in ticket sales alone.

John, 70, claims that he is going to retire from tours so that he can focus on his husband, David Furnish and their two children.

However, good news for fans is that while he will no longer be traveling for performances, Elton says he plans to continue recording music, and that he “will be creative until the day [he] dies”.

Cover Image Source

Chelsea is a senior undergraduate at the University of Connecticut. She is pursuing a degree in Digital Media & Design with a concentration in business strategies, as well as a minor in Communications. She holds one of the Marketing & Design chairs for her school's chapter of Her Campus.