Earth Day 2023: Be Part Of The Green Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Earth Day is an annual celebration of our planet held on April 22nd that demonstrates support for environmental protection. First held in 1970, the day is coordinated globally by EARTHDAY.ORG. Each year there is a unique theme; this year is “Take Action” and “Be A Part of the Green Revolution.” Its aim is to urge people to not just think about protecting our planet, but to actually do something about it.

A brief history of how earth day came to be

In 1969, peace activist John McConnell proposed a day to honor the Earth. Eventually dated April 22nd, Earth Day has been observed every year since 1970. The first Earth Day is still, to this day, the largest single-day protest in history. On Earth Day 2016, the landmark Paris Agreement was signed by the U.S. and over a hundred other countries.

Today, Earth Day serves as a day where teachers devote the day to educating and planning fun activities with young students about the Earth and environmental protection. It is a day to donate to some of the many environmental organizations, reflect on your own daily practices, and make more sustainable changes in your daily life. It is a day to plant a tree if you have never before!

Some fun things to do this earth day:

1. Plan a cleanup with some friends

2. Develop your own ways to start composting or even just recylcing

3. Practice water conservation

4. Plant a tree!

5. Read up on ways to be more environmentally friendly

6. Watch a nature documentary

Earth Day can be celebrated in so many different ways. Visiting EARTHDAY.ORG will provide you with all the resources and information necessary to make your own Earth Day special.

Emma Beloin

U Conn '26

Emma is a Freshman at the University of Connecticut and is currently an Undeclared major in the ACES program. She is from Bethany, Connecticut. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she enjoys playing soccer, going to UConn Women's Basketball games, watching tv/movies, listening to music, and hanging out with friends. She's involved in UCTV Sports, Alpha Epsilon Phi (sorority), and UConn Hillel. Emma wants to travel the world and continue to discover new passions every day.