Downtown storrs
Downtown storrs
Original photo by Kelti Johson

Downtown Storrs Stepped Up Their Game — But Here’s Why They Should Do More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Downtown Storrs is a corner of the University of Connecticut’s campus that has all sorts of things to do, such as going to Insomnia Cookies at 2 a.m. and getting a pizza at Square Peg, as well as going to CVS for all of your day-to-day needs. Don’t get me wrong, all of these new openings are great for the Mansfield community and UConn students, but I feel that there can be more stores and attractions added to our home of Storrs, especially for us UConn students.

Late night fast food

It’s great that we have a Mooyah for burgers, shakes, and fries, but the only downside is that it closes early. I think UConn students could definitely benefit from a Burger King, McDonald’s, or Chick-fil-A. Students coming back from Huskies or Ted’s after 2 a.m. want a greasy burger and fries to help cure their hangover, and although students can Uber Eats fast food, all of the options are over 15 minutes away and are more expensive due to Uber’s delivery driving tax which can be annoying for college students on a budget. A late-night spot where students can eat after partying or coming back from a basketball game would be great for students. Not to mention, they plan on opening up another Huskies bar downtown so it would be extra convenient for people to leave the bar and be able to get late-night food.

A clothing store

When I mention new stores, I’m not just talking about CVS and the new comic book store, I am talking about actual clothing shops and boutiques where people can buy clothes, accessories, and jewelry. In my hometown, we have many boutiques and since UConn can feel like the middle of nowhere at times, I think a clothing boutique would amplify Storrs and be a good moneymaker for our college town. An example of a trendy boutique they can open is Ruby and Jenna which sells all sorts of clothes including sweaters, jeans, corset tops, and gold jewelry.

Target

What would be better than a Target? College students need a Target for anything and everything. The nearest Target is in Buckland Hills which is 27 minutes away from campus. Target has everything for everyone and I also think this would benefit the Mansfield community as well. Scrambling on move-in day? Forgot something? Go to Target. They will have what you need and you won’t have to drive almost 30 minutes away when your dad forgets the screwdriver to build your new furniture on move-in day.

A salad Restaurant

One thing I noticed that we seemed to be missing is a spot where you can build your own salad. A place like Chopt or Sweetgreen would be a good addition to Downtown Storrs. It would be the perfect place to go after taking a walk on Horsebarn Hill with your friends on a nice day outside.

A cosmetics store

I would love an Ulta or Sephora, so anyone can pick up the products they just ran out of, and not have to take the bus or an Uber 30 minutes away. I also would not have to shade match for a concealer online or wait a week in the mail for the products to come in. This would come in handy for when you run out of concealer to cover up your dark circles before your 8 a.m. class the next day. Have a formal and need your makeup done? Go to Sephora!

frozen yogurt

We do have the UConn Dairy Bar right down the road, but it often closes at 6 p.m. Some of the late-night eaters may want ice cream or frozen yogurt, not just from the dining hall, but from a place where they can put toppings on it too.

I don’t know about you guys, but these are the things that would put a cherry on top of my UConn life (and make it a little easier, to say the least). But Downtown Storrs has definitely been killing it with their new openings. We now have Playa Bowls, Nautical Bowls, and even a comic book store, but these are the things that I think college students would absolutely adore having in Cowtown, and I would love to see more added soon!

Alyssa Naioti is a rising sophomore at the University of Connecticut. She is from Purchase, New York and plans to major in journalism with a minor in communications. Alyssa has a love for writing, including things such as makeup, wellness, pop culture, and entertainment. In the 2024 academic year, Alyssa Naioti was honored as the winning 'All Things Beauty Expert' by Her Campus UConn chapter, showcasing her passion and dedication to the beauty industry.