neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk: Five Things to Stop Stressing Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Happy National Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day! While stress is inevitable in college, there are things that most of us stress over that we shouldn’t at all. So take a step back, put it in perspective, and stop stressing over these five things. They might seem monumental in the moment, but they’re totally no biggie. I promise.

1.) Acne

I’ve struggled with acne since I was in middle school, so believe me when I say that I feel your pain. Having a bad breakout feels like the end of the world, but it’s really not. I’ve learned that no one notices, or cares, about a breakout. And if they do then they’re awful people who are not worthy of you. If it’s really bugging you, I highly recommend consulting a dermatologist. I did, and she is now my bestie. But seriously, don’t let a pimple ruin your day or spoil your confidence because you’re better than that. Learn to live with these little buggers like JLaw did. Stop giving two sh*ts about zits.

2.) Being Single

Listen up ladies: You do not need a man to make you happy or stress-free. If anything, introducing a guy to your life will do just the opposite. Love yourself first. Be your own soulmate. Once you start focusing on yourself and stop actively searching for a relationship, one will appear out of no where. Seriously, that’s how it always happens. But if you really are that unhappy single, stressing about your relationship status is not going to change it. The only advice I can give is to start putting yourself out there more. Worst case scenario? You both learn a little bit and move on. According to this chart, most people meet their signficant other through mutual friends. So next time you’re feeling single AF, throw a get together at your place and tell all your girlfriends to bring one guy friend. It’s basic math: mutual friends + their hot friends = your new hot boyfriend (You can thank me later).

3.) Insignificant Grades

In my opinion, people get way too worked up over their grades. While I know maintaining a high GPA is important in college, one quiz in a course that isn’t even for your major will not impact your life in any way, shape, or form. Your future employer is not going to care about that one time you bombed a quiz in your Animal Behavior class, that is unless you want to become to next Jane Goodall or choreograph Coldplay’s music videos. Work hard, strive for an A, but don’t stress yourself out to the point of tears and Nutella; save that for the classes that you’re truly passionate about and that are related to your major. Don’t go bananas over learning about monkeys.

4.) Fitting In

High school was so cliquey, there’s no denying that. But college is a whole new ball game, and once you start to accept that you will stop stressing yourself out over “fitting in.” Literally no one cares what you do in college. Wear the same sweats everyday? Smart, saves money on laundry. Rollerblade to class? Super smart, saves time and energy walking through campus. Figure out how to cook bacon with an iron? You’re my new best friend. College is about figuring out who you are, not clinging to who you thought you would be. Find yourself and forget the rest.

5.) Embarrassing Yourself

We’ve all been there. You dropped your DD in front of the class. You busted your butt on black ice while walking to the gym. You wore your shirt inside out all day. You leaned in for a kiss and accidentally burped (or did that only happen to me?). When things just aren’t going your way, take a deep breath, relax, and learn to laugh at yourself. Do your head, heart, and health some good and stop stressing over the silly things. Go trip up the stairs! Walk around with food in your teeth! Fart! Just let life happen, don’t take it too seriously, and stop trying to control it. Remember, it’s only spilled milk. 

Stay stress-free, Collegiettes!