Do Your Favorite Films Pass The Bechdel Test?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The Bechdel Test, originating from a comic strip created by Alison Bechdel, has become a hallmark of the cultural conversation around representation in film. The test asks whether a film (1) has at least two women, who (2) talk to each other, (3) about something other than a man. Simple, right? Not so much. Surprisingly, many modern films do not pass this straightforward test — and it has become a popular barometer for measuring a film’s depiction of women.

Does your favorite film pass the Bechdel Test? A citizen science project has compiled a list of nearly 10,000 films (and counting) and their Bechdel Test result. You might be disappointed by the findings. Read on for some surprising recent films that do not pass the Bechdel Test.

“All these relationships between women, I thought, rapidly recalling the splendid gallery of fictitious women, are too simple.”

– Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own (the quote that would serve as the inspiration for Bechdel’s comic)

1. Avatar: The Way of Water (2022)

The third highest-grossing film of all time, and a major Oscars contender from this past year, James Cameron’s highly-anticipated Avatar sequel does not pass the Bechdel Test. Disappointing.

2. Elvis (2022)

Yes, it’s a biopic about a man. And yes, said man did not have the best reputation when it came to women. Still, another major Oscars contender not passing the test is not a good look for the Academy.

rev 1 ELVIS FF 00148r High Res JPEG?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Warner Bros.

3. Nope (2022)

As a Jordan Peele fan, this one hurts. Nope is a fantastic film that was notably snubbed from this year’s Oscars — and despite fantastic performances from Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, and Steven Yeun, it does not pass the Bechdel Test.

4. Murder Mystery (2019)

The pairing of Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston is always immaculate — but not enough to make this one pass the test.

5. Baby Driver (2017)

Is this an incredibly creative film from Edgar Wright? Yes. Does it represent women well? Not so much. The only female characters are a wholesome girl-next-door waitress love interest, a hypersexual femme fatale villain, and a dead mom existing only in nostalgia-soaked flashbacks. Do better, Baby Driver.

6. Moonlight (2016)

Not to be overshadowed by the Academy Awards envelope mix-up of 2016, Moonlight is a powerful coming-of-age film following a young Black man in Miami. The fact that this film doesn’t pass the Bechdel Test highlights an important note: The Bechdel Test lacks an intersectional element that incorporates race. That said, the lack of meaningful female characters in Moonlight demonstrates that women of color are also majorly underrepresented.

7. Ant-Man (2015)

Ah, superhero movies — they don’t have the best history of representing women well. While some progress has been made in recent years with more and more female superheroes, women are still consistently underrepresented, and when they are main characters, they’re either hypersexualized or helpless damsels.

GIF by Night of Too Many Stars HBO - Find & Share on GIPHY

8. The Revenant (2015)

The film that finally got Leo the Oscar. Good for him. Not so good for women.

9. Whiplash (2014)

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons turn in exceptional performances in this 2014 drama. However, women characters are few and far in between and never meet one another.

10. Monster’s University (2013)

When it comes to children’s films, the importance of representation cannot be overstated. Social Learning Theory says that individuals learn and imitate behavior from role models — such as heroes from their favorite films. Furthermore, cultivation theory posits that those who spend more time watching television are more likely to perceive the real world the way they see it on TV. This can also be applied to films.

That said, if children’s films do not pass the Bechdel Test, or more broadly do not represent women or represent women well, children are going to think that reflects the real world. Thus, children’s films especially have an obligation to showcase diverse role models and represent female characters and other marginalized groups in ways that reflect the world we live in.

Frustrated Monsters University GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

11. Now You See Me (2013)

A fun crime-drama with an all-star cast, Now You See Me unfortunately does not meet the criteria to pass the Bechdel Test.

12. The Spectacular Now (2013)

Miles Teller, not again! It is especially disheartening to see a romance, a type of film typically marketed to women, not passing the Bechdel Test. Even more so for a coming-of-age romance about young adults at such a pivotal moment in life.

13. White House Down (2013)

Are we that surprised about this one?

14. 21 Jump Street (2012)

Of course, the leads in this comedy are men: the incomparable Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. However, Brie Larson also turns in a hilarious supporting performance. If only she had another woman to talk to!

21 Jump Street GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

15. The Avengers (2012)

Another top-grossing superhero film that neglects to give women meaningful storylines that don’t revolve around men. To be fair, more recent installments in the Avengers franchise do pass the Bechdel Test. Here’s to progress!

16. Django Unchained (2012)

Tarantino’s Civil War-era film starring Jamie Foxx, Samuel L. Jackson, and Leonardo DiCaprio unfortunately does not pass the Bechdel Test

17. Shutter Island (2010)

Another iconic DiCaprio film — another fail for the Bechdel.

18. The Social Network (2010)

The Golden Globe-winning story of the creation of Facebook, The Social Network stars Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake, Andrew Garfield, and Armie Hammer. Dakota Johnson plays a minor role, but the presence of women in this film is minimal.

19. (500) Days of Summer (2009)

For a movie with the female lead’s name in the title, it is especially concerning that this film does not pass the Bechdel Test. Once again, this film is classified as a romantic comedy — a genre primarily marketed toward women.

20. Marley & ME (2008)

If you don’t cry your eyes out over this emotional dog story, you’ll cry at the lack of female characters.

Owen Wilson Dog GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment - Find & Share on GIPHY

Final Thoughts — and the limitations of the Bechdel Test

These 20 films do not meet the criteria of the Bechdel Test — however, that does not mean that these films are inherently misogynistic and anti-feminist. The test itself was never intended to be used to measure films, and it is certainly limited in its analysis. Many films do pass the test but certainly do not exhibit feminist storylines or even appropriate representations of women.

That said, the Bechdel Test can serve as a barometer for baseline representation of women in film. Women continue to be consistently underrepresented in film, especially women of color and other marginalized groups. By being critical consumers of media, we can advocate for films that better represent the world we live in.

Molly is the President and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus UConn. A senior at the University of Connecticut, she is currently studying Communication with minors in English and Political Science. When she is not writing for Her Campus or leading team meetings, she enjoys film, spin class, coffee, art, basketball, dogs, and anything fall-related.